Off Shoot: What do you do during dinner?

betty_lowrey

<p>There was a mix of opinions on whether or not to eat while shooting a wedding. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Knowing that most people don't care to have their pictures taken while eating, what do you do during the dinner portion of the reception? Normally I take the time to take pictures of the rings...or setting pictures...but that doesn't take me very long.<br>

So what do you do? I thought this might be an interesting discussion.</p>

<p>Generally I eat, but quickly. Then I do the rings or any other details I haven't gotten yet (cake, centerpieces, ect). It all depends on what the schedule has allowed for up till then.</p>

<p>Also, I often stay close to the B&G because someone is invariably going to clink the glasses and I often get lucky with cute shots of the kiss, or even the guests' reactions.</p>

<p>BTW- you are just a couple hours from me. I'm over by La Crosse and shoot in Madison semi-often. :) It's freezing here right now, and my furnace just went out this morning. Yuck. </p>

<p>If we are to be fed, I request that we do so right after the VIPs are served, then cover candid shots of the B&G visiting guests during diner. If we are at a venue that is condusive to it, I take the B&G out for a few couples portraits ... but prefer the more candid approach. We do not do table shots ... but I try to do a few panoramics of the whole area with a 14mm. </p>

<p>I spend that time creating a slideshow from 20-30 photos taken during the day, then set it up on my laptop at, or near the bar. Sometimes I'll eat a power bar or something while I'm doing it, but it helps to avoid that whole awkward period where I'm not eating, but I'm not shooting either (I always put the camera down while people are eating). The added bonus is that 2/3 of the photos are downloaded and all I have to do when I get home is back up! </p>

<p>Eat - Regroup - Download small jpeg's for the slideshow - Edit images for slideshow - Talk w/ assistants about the rest of the nights goals - Plan alone time with b/g</p>

<p>Since we are a husband and wife team, things go so much smoother during this time as we each have our designated jobs that we focus on....nothing is left to chance. If we see the b/g move, we're on it and since we're usually sitting pretty close to them, we can still get some of the "congratulations" shots if requested.</p>

<p>Enough b/g's have specified "no images during dinner", that fighting this is not productive to our relationship with them or their families. Since we are billing our selves as their family historian, we look forward to a long relationship with each of our familes.</p>

<p>My husband and I really look forward to this time. Because there are two of us, it does make this particular time of the wedding day easy.<br>

We try to enjoy our time at the tables with the guests - we especially like sitting and conversing with an older (than us!) crowd - they get us laughing, and always seem keen to ask questions about our lives. They think it is 'neat' we are married and shoot together.<br>

So during the dinner time, we have been able to balance enjoying our meal and the people around us, as well as following through with what we have been paid to do!</p>

<p>I'm 100% with Marc and Stephen. The couple and the venue (the venue "sometimes" but we always get the table to make them understand) realize that we are there to shoot the day and it is best that we eat right after the VIP's are served. Otherwise, we are eating last after all guests are served and by that time the couple is circulating the room - we'd miss too many important candids. Also like others if there is an agenda for a sunset shot or an "extended family" or "college friends/business friends shots - we'll steal them away after they've eaten and we've eaten. At this point there are still guests that are busy eating. </p>

<p>During the time we eat (usually 15 min. but sometimes more especially when it is a 3-4 course meal), we go over all the equipment/change battieries/go over the list to see if we've got everything and go over the list to review what else is coming that we need to cover. </p>

<p>Sometimes if the lighting is right and the venue is right for it - we'll go outside and get a shot of the venue in low light. This could be a lit up tent or a shot of the room from outside (when there are huge glass windows or a glass enclosed room). </p>

<p>Or, we'll go around the room or to the bridal table and get the flowers off the tables and place them around the cake. We always take this time to shoot the cake and other details if we have not already shot them. If there is a balcony, we'll take this time to shoot a super wide angle of the room showing all the guests at tables.</p>