Off camera flash bracket

caroline_cooper

Hi

I have the Canon off-camera shoe cord but I have a real problem

finding a bracket to go with it that feels secure. The flashgun

side of the cord has a hotshoe fit and it falls out of the two

(hotshoe fit) brackets I already own. It feels really insecure.

Any suggestions? Ideally I want to mount the flash above and to the

side of the camera and have it as secure as a rock. Are there any

brackets with tripod fits, would those work?

I am in the UK and I am using a Canon 300D and EOS 30 both with

battery grips.

Caroline

Newton brackets also have provisions to attach the end of the OCSC to the bracket with a screw or will supply a metal shoe with a locking thumbscrew if you prefer that.

However, mounting the Speedlite above and to the side of the camera will result in harsh shadows. Most flash brackets allow you to line up the Speedlite with the lens for both horizontal and vertical pictures by virtue of a rotation mechanism to solve this problem.

The Stroboframe flash bracket clamps down quite well on the Canon Off Camera Shoe Cord 2. Tight enough so that it won't come loose. In fact, tight enough to break a flange off the side of the cord's foot if you tighten it too much. Cost's $10 and attaches to a bracket with a 1/4" x 20 screw.

Or you can forget about the bracket and attach the cord directly with the same screw.

You can fix the existing brackets with some material that will allow a smooth interface. I had the same problem which was fixed with a piece of self-adhesive cork, about 1 millimeter thick, stuck to the bottom of the hot-shoe bracket. It was flexible enough to allow the flashgun end of the cord to slide in, and enough tackiness to hold it in place. Look at the inboard side of your kitchen drawer doors and harvest a piece to trial.