Off brand lenses and E-TTL2 flash?

andrew_ito

So here's the story. After doing some reading on this board I've learned that E-TTL2 uses

distance information from the lens to help calculate the flash output. It seems that most

of the newer lenses have this info transferred over. However, how does E-TTL2 work with

off brand lenses like Tamron, Tokina and Sigma? All of my lenses are currently Canon

glass, but I have a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 Di on order because of it's weight, performance

and price. Does anyone know whether this lens, or any non-Canon lens for that matter,

will work with E-TTL2? Thanks! I really appreciate all the posters that share their

knowledge on this board.

I have sent email asking Tamron USA if 17-35 and 28-75 is ETT2 compatible. The email answer NO. Even in their latest cateloge, distant information is not mentioned for Canon. You may want to send or call Tamron again to confirm, or test the lens your self if possible.

The fact that your Tamron lens will not furnish distance data does not make it incompatible with E-TTL II. Distance information is one minor element of E-TTL II. In some instances it can help confirm that an object's reflectance read by the preflash is part of the subject. It does not mean that E-TTL II will not work with the Tamron lens, or for that matter, Canon lenses which do not furnish distance data. Distance data may improve exposures in some cases but is not essential for E-TTL II to work.

Jim,

I do use bounce flash extensively. That said.... How many times when you're shooting a

wedding are you in a big reception hall in a hotel where the ceiling is 25 feet high?

Bounce flash won't do you a lick of good there. The bounce flash topic seems somewhat

off topic honestly. Thanks for your input though.

<i>I do use bounce flash extensively. That said.... How many times when you're shooting a wedding are you in a big reception hall in a hotel where the ceiling is 25 feet high? Bounce flash won't do you a lick of good there. The bounce flash topic seems somewhat off topic honestly.</i>

<p>

It remains very relevant because you don't necessarily need to bounce the flash off the 25 foot ceiling. Using something like a Lumiquest <a href="http://www.lumiquest.com/lq881.htm">Big Bounce </a>flash attachment, a

<a href="http://www.lumiquest.com/lq871.htm">Pocket Bounce</a>

flash attachment, or

<a href="http://users.aol.com/shellfoto/flash.html">the Shell</a> flash attachment, or similar flash diffusers, all constitute "bounce" flash, without the need to bounce it off a very high ceiling. And E-TTL2 continues to work very well in these bounce situations.

Peter,

I don't really believe that the "bounce flash" issue is relevant. If you read my initial post,

my question was whether or not E-TTL2 is compatible with non-Canon lenses. I really do

appreciate the comments, but disagree with the relevance of the post. Also, when I hear

bounce flash my initial thoughts refer to bouncing the light off of walls and ceilings.

Normally, items like the pocket bounce, big bounce or what have you are what I think of as

diffusers. YMMV of course, but that is my initial thought even though the light is actually

bounced off of the diffuser. I'm not trying to stir up a flame war, just trying to determine

whether or not my lens is going to take full advantage of the benefits of E-TTL2. Thanks.

You can easily test it out if you have access to any third party lenses that you are interested.

E-TTL works by metering of the focus point. So you should choose a focus point, focus an object with that focus point, and shift the camera to the left or right. The focus point should point to some distance subject. Take the picture and if it is correctly exposed, then it is putting into account the distance. If it is not, then it is probably just metering off the focus point which is pointing at some object beside the intended, focused object.