Odd D1X problem

Rick Helmke

Evening everyone,

I ran into a problem on my old D1X yesterday and it’s one that happens regularly. When I turn it on for the first time after it has been sitting unused for several days which is pretty common, the first time I press the shutter button it runs off a fast burst of eight or ten cycles and keeps going even if I release the button. This can happen two or three time before it settles down and functions properly. It isn’t sending images to the card, just firing like a machine gun. Once it starts firing normally all is well and I can shoot the rest of the day without a problem. This camera is stored with a charged battery installed in a climate controlled area. It is a camera now that I keep because I’ve always liked it and it produces decent enough images. Any idea what might be causing this? Is it a common problem in the D1 series? It’s not critical to my day to day work but it’s strange enough i’d like to have it repaired. Cheaper to buy one from KEH but still....

Rick H.

I've got a D1X which does something similar. When first used it gives an error message, then when turned off and back on there are couple of quick operations, before it finally settles town to work normally. I only use it occasionally for infrared, and I've never considered trying to get it repaired.