things, so I usually work the event.

Anyway, the bride is a very close friend of mine, and she planned to use my

services for years at her wedding. However, her husband's family wanted to

use a large studio. So, I went as a guest. That was Ok. The temp was 115

degrees in the hotel patio!

The photographer seemed to do a good job with excellent digital equipment and

an assistant, and was very pleasant, well dressed, and not at all stressed or

pushy. He did not take too much in the way of guest photos, but I'm guessing

that he was taking only photos that he could sell.

Question:

He had business cards on the table, with a photo of the couple, and on the

back there was some business info. It stated that the photos would be

available for viewing on-line by everyone on August 5th, and the event code

was on the card. I'm also guessing that they will be available for sale to

everyone on the same date. I'll be interested in seeing how this works.

Is this a current trend in marketing in studios now? I'm not sure what

studios are doing nowdays.

Also, I was a good guest. I didn't take one photo! (^O^)

Hi Todd, good for you not taking any photos. especially as someone who likes to moving around doing something it must have been tough! Geez, these weekends for weddings have either been raining or terribly hot.

As far as the cards on the table, I think a lot of people are doing this now and also / or sending out a card in thankyou notes. Its good for marketing and also nice for those guests who may not be in close contact with the couple to easily find out where to see the pictures.

Lauren,

I rather like the idea and am trying to figure out how I can do that. I don't have a production staff and I often move at a snail's pace on post processing, but, it's something to consider, and is a nice way for guests to get some photos if the prices are somewhat reasonable.

I'll post a follow-up after the photos are ready for viewing.

I think every wedding photographer should be a guest from time to time, and just watch. The photographer was very good. There were some things I'd do differently, but that's because I document a total event and don't just sell prints.

I do those cards for every wedding. I use a picture from their engagement session and the brides love it. All their guests and friends can go online whenever they want and order what they want. The bride (or anyone else) doesn't have to keep track of who wants what or making sure everyone pays for their pictures. It's pure convenience.

I assist for a studio that does this. They use Pictage. I have recently inquired with Pictage myself since I have my own weddings that I shoot and so far I've gotten lots of various emails from them along with a phone call "following up" my inquiry that I made. So far, they seem to be trying to sell me to death and now I'm not so sure that I'm interested in working with them. I will have to find some other online sharing/ordering system.

I print "business cards" on photo paper - a 4x6 photo will make four 2x3 cards for only 14 cents at Sam's Club. I give out a few here and there at the wedding, or leave them on guest tables. Then, after I've loaded all of the pictures onto my hard drive, I find my favorite 20 or 30 and do a quick edit on each so that I have a "preview" gallery for people to view when they visit the site a few days after the wedding. The gallery tells them when they'll get to see the rest of the pictures. Here's a sample: http://jenseay.smugmug.com/gallery/1695129. Last week I had a $60 print sale from a preview gallery - the rest of the wedding photos hadn't even been posted yet. I guess they couldn't wait!

I attached the image below that I use for the cards. They actually look really nice when printed.

Jen Seay<div>00HOuZ-31349184.jpg.abae4c575df8c1748dc6ddb6c9ddb3e9.jpg</div>

This is an excellent means of advertising your services.

By placing an engagement photo of the couple on the card you are guranteeing a pickup of at least a handful.

One thing to note is I think permission of the couple should be made first.

I'd like to pick up Brian's comment about permission. Some of the pictures I take of couples, especially after the marriage can be very intimate and private.

I do get a few cards printed from my on-line producer which are free and I cute them myself. I give these to the BG and BM and leave it to them unless I am given permission to make the deatils freely available to guests.

Do others seek permission?