NYTimes report on photo industry

wingell

Check the business article in tomorrow's NYTimes (Feb.20-online now)

on the direction of the digital photo industry. It's a new world for

traditional camera companies as the electronics giants prepare to move

into the high-end part of the digital market.

Nice article, featuring our own Chad Marek. Interesting numbers for digital camera sales share in the US: Canon 17.2%, Kodak 16.9%, Sony 15.8%. Canon's dominance is not as great as I was led to believe, and when Sony puts its name on a DSLR line this year it will probably overtake them. I don't know where Samsung and Panasonic are in the league table, but I expect them to make leaps and bounds this year.

Those percentages are total digital camera sales, of which a vast majoriety are P&S cameras. Canon and Nikon have around 90% of the DSLR market. It's a tough market to break into. There's also a pretty small window of opportunity to grab market share. The year-to-year % increase in dollar sales is already lower than the year-to-year % increase in unit sales (average prices are dropping). The year-to-year unit sales % increase will begin to drop as the market saturates; just like it did in the P&S market. There have been a couple of SLR sales bubbles in the past when new technology came out.

I'd say that Canon and Nikon are closer to 80% of DSLR sales, not 90% with Olympus holding around 11%, and Pentax and Konica-Minolta combined at around 7%, and Fuji and Kodak having the remaining little bits. Those would be estimates for 2005. In 2006, Kodak is gone, and Konica-Minolta becomes Sony, and Samsung enters, selling co-branded Pentax Product (and may soon take over Pentax, in much the same way Sony has taken over K-M.