Number of activations

steve_levine

<p>Steve - </p>

<p>Whether or worry or is not is completely up to you. I've seen brand new out of the box D700's (rated to 150k) fail out of the box. I've seen D40's rated to 100k - fail at 200k.... </p>

<p>It's an electronic device. It will fail at some point. All the number that Nikon puts on it means is that during their testing mean time of failure was 50k. </p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>Number of actuations is an almost meaningless number. A lot of people think it's a countdown to camera death, but it's not actually a measure of the point at which a shutter fails - it's not like it gets to 50,000 or whatever it is and the camera dies. It's a very rough estimate of a very rough average that has a huge margin of error, because it's basically impossible for Nikon to determine. (Ever wonder why the rating is always in multiples of 50,000? They won't even pretend to know more accurately than that how long a shutter mechanism ought to last.) It's a marketing number, nothing more - like when a TV maker gives a number for "dynamic contrast ratio".</p>

<p>As a used camera buyer, all it's really good for is knowing whether a camera has been used a lot, which isn't even important when you have it in your hands and can see whether it was taken care of well. If the camera is in good enough condition to warrant an E rating and fully working, ignore the actuations number.</p>

<p>not that I think of a camera as a car, but, depending on how well you take care of it or how you drive it, e.g. a lead foot/aggressive or passive and easy going as a driver could make a difference on how long your car or a camera could last for. now, I say 'could' make a difference because there are some unforeseen issues that could arise. but, that's what a warranty is for.</p>

<p>as for the 23,000 actuation's on the D80, I had my sister check her D80 and it has 56,000 actuation and still going strong. she just sent it in for a cleaning too.</p>

<p>The 50000, 100000, 150000, are numbers of shutter actuation counts that particular camera model was tested up to this number, and the testing stopped, so the number is even.<br>

They could test it for much more counts, but this does not make much sense, so was stopped.</p>

<p>It does not mean that the shutter failed at this count, but only an indication of camera shutter proven and expected ability.</p>

<p>A DSLR shutter is not pure electronic device, as someone commented. It has mechanical shutter curtains and mechanism moving them, so naturally mechanical parts could wear off, in addition to possibiility of shutter electronic control circuits random failure.</p>

<p>Why didn't you request the count before you bought it if the number is a concern? Personally, I disagree with<em><strong> 'ignore the actuations number'.</strong></em><br>

I have bought many new and used digital bodies in the last 10 years and consider the shutter count to be paramount in my decision to purchase or not. Of course, the external condition of the body is just as important to me as it tells how the previous owner handled it, but that I can evaluate visually in a second. The shutter count is indicative of more than just how many shots were recorded. It's also a measure of internal wear and tear. I would say disregard how 'old' a body is, but not the wear and tear.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have a D2X that has failed twice and had to be sent back to Nikon for $500.00 repairs each time. It has 65,000 actuations on it. The shutter is fine for whatever consolation that may give me. Perhaps the fact that both failures occured in the arena at rodeos I was covering had something to do with it. My D2H has had a new main board at 35,000 actuations. Not to frighten you but I would think that the shutter should be the last of your worries. My D300 has been worry free for 75,000 actuations. </p>

<p>In other words I would shoot away if I were you and not go looking for trouble. If you shoot 20 shots a day without missing a day. Or if you shoot 140 shots every weekend without fail, you won't hit your 50,000 clicks for over three years. If you are shooting a thousand shots a week you are either a photojournalist or a very bad photographer. Or both. </p>

<p>One of reasons to know actual shutter actuation count before purchasing a used DSLR camera is to lower the sale price, to make possible provision for the cost of most likely need for the shutter replacement.</p>

<p>E.g. if a camera was rated (tested by maker) to some 50000, and the camera already has 50000 actuations, you have reason to ask for lower price, to possibly pay for replacement of the shutter that will be needed soon, regardless is the camera will take 100000, or 200000 pictures without repair.</p>