Nudes in the "nudes" please?

<p>Just a friendly reminder to all of the photographers who post nude images, please place them in the "nudes" category. When I browse the ratings forum, I'm always careful to turn the "no nudes" filter on during the day when my 5 and 8 year old boys are around. Twice now in the last couple of days they've gotten the "boobie giggles". </p>

<p>I may have to figure out some sort of "report" system for this sort of thing. Photo.net supports nude photography, but we also support our users who would like to (either temporarily or permanently) avoid nudes. while we can't guarentee that someone won't run into a boob, we like to make any reasonable efforts to help people avoid them if they aren't interested.</p>

<p>It's one of the more vexing issues. I have even considered a "upload" based category system where people HAVE to put their images in a category when they upload so that we can be double sure that we aren't showing nudes to people who don't want them.</p>

<p>I'm open to ideas...</p>

<p>Help is coming, but it's not quite here yet...</p>

<p><a href="http://www.computer.org/portal/web/csdl/abs/proceedings/icpr/2004/2128/04/212840467abs.htm">http://www.computer.org/portal/web/csdl/abs/proceedings/icpr/2004/2128/04/212840467abs.htm</a></p>

<p>Best we could do for now would be to require categorization on upload, have a "report this image" link and warn those who mis-categorize nude images that their account will be suspended if they do it too often.</p>

<p>I suppose we could classify ALL images as "nudes" by default unless a box was checked that they weren't, though that might result in the nudes category being filled with landscapes, cats and various holiday snapshots.</p>

<p>Thanks guys.......much to the dismay of my boys.<br>

My 5yr old said "who's that?" as I quickly hit the power button on my monitor. He flashed me a grin and ran off to his brother exclaiming excitedly......."naked giiiiirrrrrrrrllllllll, she had big boobies!" My wife was not home thankfully, so it was all in good fun, but should probably be avoided in the future. </p>

<p>Just think, we all told stories of our "first look" when we were kids so now photo.net will be immortalized in my children's future beer stories.</p>

<p>Funny...I don't see a "nudes" forum. There is a catagory under "learning", but I don't think this is an open forum. While I have no objection to nude photos as example photos in any forum, I can see how this could be a problem at work or when the kids are watching...er, are we supposed to be messing around with this at work? :-)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Twice now in the last couple of days they've gotten the "boobie giggles".</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Probably no harm done. I'm sure they've seen them before...</p>

<p>But some of the nudes may not be quite so innocent and so it would be great if we could find a way to ensure that viewers don't get unexpected surprises while browsing photo net - with either their kids or their boss looking over their shoulder!</p>

<p>BTW nude images are generally not welcome in any forum. If you really need to refer to one for the purpose of discussion, just post a link. It's another "safe for work and kids" rule. I will generally remove any nude images I see posted in a forum to avoid unexpected surprises. If you don't have a website, post the image in your photo.net gallery and provide a text link (with a nudity warning), but make sure the image is relevant to the forum discussion. Posting images or links just to attract viewers is not allowed in most forums (the "No words" forum is an obvious exception, as is the "Critique Forum").</p>

<p>Just a cultural observation...I'm over here in Barcelona and am thinking how different things are over here...no one seems to get too bent out of shape over nudity. The city beaches are mostly tops optional and there is a nude beach not too far from the main port...all within easy eyesight of lots of kids. In fact, on the beach, Grandma and Mom may actually be topless and surrounded by their kids who seem to not pay much attention! This is not to mention the mammography ads on the street, the risque magazine covers and the TV shows that show a lot more than you might expect. Around here they just seem to yawn. They say you can tell the Americans at the beach by their bulging eyes and their rubber-necking. If it is forbidden fruit it becomes attractive, if it is commonplace it loses that attraction. And to top it all off, my cat runs around nude all day in front of the big picture window and on the balcony and no one seems to care! : )</p>

<p>Daniel,<br>

Different strokes for different folks. I had a roommate who was from Pakistan and he lived a time in Saudi Arabia. Even viewing muscle magazines (of men or women) could get you in serious trouble. Around here in the States one could easily get fired for viewing nude images in the work-place, even by accident (it happened to a co-worker of my wife actually).<br>

I have been to similar beaches in France, yes 6 to 90 year olds on the beach, topless or nude. When I first happened on the beach I, as a North American, was uncomfortable until I realized the issue was with my cultural norms, not the one I was visiting. However, I have heard that times are changing in France now and people are becoming more restrained there as well, so who knows? In the future that cat in your window may yet get a citation.<br>

Josh's suggestions sounds good, but it is a lot of viewing and a lot of extra work-and obviously for us on this side of the pond it is something that will have to wait until we get home.</p>