I am a student in Michigan who is looking to try nude photography

primarily artistic. I have done some shots already of females at the

college. I was wondering if anyone has good resources for finding

models. In addition I am willing to also model for these types of

photographs and have some experience doing so. Is there a resource

that anyone knows of to connect models and photographers? I look

forward to hearing back from anyone with information on this

subject. Thanks ---Michael

There are tons of internet forums that are useful in connecting models and photographers. For a complete list see <A HREF="http://www.njworkshops.com/forums.htm">Forum List</A><BR>

<BR>

Also there are sites where models and photographers can get listed for free. You can search for models and photograpers by state or country. Try <A HREF="http://www.net-model.com">Net Model</A> or <A HREF="http://www.onemodelplace.com">One Model Place</A>

You are in one of the best places to find models by far-

COLLEGE. There are many attractive girls that will be happy to

model for you; if you approach them correctly. Plus, you won't

have to deal with the attitudes many models carry, and you can

mold them into want you are looking for. Just ask and you will be

suprised how many will say yes. Start off slow and build trust

with each other, you will have much better photographs if she

trusts you.

I'm with Austin.

I have been working on doing some nudes, and while I managed to get some friends to model, I also tried the "forum" method.

It is NOT worth it. I used a variety. Mostly OneModelPlace.com as that seemed to have the most models in my area. I found one VERY good model and about fifty bad ones. For every 25 e-mails sent out, expect maybe 2 or 3 responses. Most seem to fall into some sort of electronic black-hole.

Add to that the flake factor, and the amount of work you have to do is HUGE with little reward. It can be maddening. I had one model all set to go. She cancels with a migraine hours before the shoot. She says she will reschedule. Then she starts to ask for more money to reschedule!

And this is pretty common apparently!

Stick with the non-pros. Plus I think "real" people make better subjects for art shoots.

You might start by calling female humans "women". <p>Also, try carrying a portfolio of small prints showing the sort of work you are already doing. Leave a card and ask them to call you. Offer to make a portrait <i>first</i> and do just that. It will give you an opportunity to see how comfortable they are in front of the camera, see what they look like in print and broach the subject of a different sort of photography... t

<I>Stick with the non-pros. Plus I think "real" people make better subjects for art shoots.</I><P>

I've had excellent luck with "net" models. It may be because I check references and I've got good references of my own.<P>

If you are lucky enough to find a "real person" who is willing to model nude and has the looks for it, more power to you! It may be easier if you're a college student because you may know women in your peer group who are willing to model. But if you are middle-aged and live in suburbia and work in an office your peer group doesn't <B>usually</B> have a lot of potential models.<P>

Another problem with "real people" is that most of them just don't look that good in their birthday suits. That may not matter if your style of photography doesn't require attractive models (e.g., some of Jan Saudek's work, or Joel-Peter Witkin's work), but many of us prefer attractive models.<P>

Another problem is that inexperienced models often get an entirely different look of their face when the clothes come off, like "I can't believe I'm doing this!". I prefer a model who's used to being nude in front of the camera so we can concentrate on the work or project.<P>

Yet another problem with inexperienced models is their lack of familiarity with the business and legal conventions involved. I have a conventional, detailed model release that I ask every model to sign. The pro's don't bat an eyelash when they see it but I've seen beginners get uncomfortable when they see that the photographer has full rights to the use of the images.

austin calhoon says <I>You are in one of the best places to find models by far- COLLEGE. There are many attractive girls that will be happy to model for you; if you approach them correctly. Plus, you won't have to deal with the attitudes many models carry, and you can mold them into want you are looking for. Just ask and you will be suprised how many will say yes. Start off slow and build trust with each other, you will have much better photographs if she trusts you.</I><P>

Just out of curiosity, Austin, what is a "correct approach" to a college student for nude modeling? I could imagine if you were a student and you were approaching one of your peers, that could work. And I could imagine if you had an institutional imprimatur, e.g., if you were a teacher at a local art school and you wanted models for your class, that could work.<P>

But otherwise I imagine a middle-aged man from suburbia would get arrested for approaching female students at a local college asking them to model nude for him. What do you suggest as a "correct" approach?

• 13 years later...
<p>Be careful Michael you could get yourself into whole load of trouble, professional models from reputable model agencies are not only expensive but the agencies are very selective who they hire them out to if you're not known to them, and if you use female fellow students on campus that's a minefield that could blow up in your face too either from the college authorities or the girls parents or both.</p>