Now we need a Z version of the PS-4

conrad_hoffman

I've always liked the PS-4 slide and neg copy attachment for the PB series of bellows. Now that we have the 105 mm Z macro, it would be really great to have a screw-on version of the PS-4. It would just need the right length tube so the ratio could be set 1:1. Too lazy to work this up myself right now, so just tossing the idea out there. IMO, it would be about the best slide and neg digitizer out there, especially if you had a Z7.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, it would be about the best slide and neg digitizer out there, especially if you had a Z7

To each their own, I guess.

Most of you know how little enthusiasm i have for these bellows slide copiers, although I do like bellows for other purposes;

Nikon-PB-4.jpg.702c4cffa747d384ed9487fb0e51795b.jpg

Edited by JDMvW

I think no mirrorless has bellow isn't that true? In fact I think the bellow is more useful with mirrorless.

Would people pay what it would cost to make it? If a flimsy ES-2 is $140 (B&H) then what would something like this cost today?:

PB-5 & PS-4

18651067-orig.jpg

Edited by NHSN
  • Like 1
Niels

A simple alloy tube with a filter thread at one end and a slide holder/neg carrier at the other isn't exactly taxing if one simply wants 1 : 1 'copies' with a Z7 and the 105mm Z Macro.

If you need some adjustment there are plenty of good, short helicoid 'adjusters' around like this..

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Bigking-Focusing-Helicoid-Adapter-Adjustable-default/dp/B08NW2T4K3/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=helicoid&qid=1639504142&rnid=1642204031&s=electronics&sr=1-10

....could go on the filter thread/slide holder end to allow full lens auto.

Edited by mike_halliwell

Yes, a simple version wouldn't be too tough to make. One note about the bellows and Z lenses. The modern lenses are designed to be a fixed distance from the sensor, so using a bellows or extension tube is probably a thing of the past, unless you also use lenses from the past. The 105 Z macro goes 1:1 so it's just a matter of putting the neg or slide at the right distance and a couple of nesting tubes would take care of that. The PS-4 did have some nice features, like the X-Y slide for cropping, though would be expensive today.

like the X-Y slide for cropping, though would be expensive today.

I guess the slide holder could be un-locked X-Y and in-front of a short helicoid for <1:1 and with a short Z extension tube for >1:1

Apparently the 105mm Z's min. working distance is ~ 134mm

Edited by mike_halliwell

Since you lose all automation with the PB-4; what's wrong with a cheap, dumb Z-to-F adapter and 55mm f/3.5 Micro-Nikkor?

The adapter and manual focus Micro-Nikkor together can probably be bought for less than what Nikon would charge for a slide/film holder alone.

FWIW, I get excellent digital film copies using a 6 element enlarging lens that was designed before DSLRs were commonly available, let alone MILCs. So I wouldn't worry about the fixed sensor-distance thing in the slightest. There's a lot of hooey dreamed up by marketing suits designed just to panic you into replacing all your 'outdated' gear!

but I suspect the 105 Z macro is even better than the manual focus Micro Nikkors.

I beg to differ.

The main issue with film copying is getting the film flat enough - a complete headache with mounted slides. So you often (always?) need to resort to using a mid marked aperture like f/5.6, f/6.3 or f/8. In terms of effective aperture and diffraction, this translates to using between f/11 and f/16 at a 1:1 RR.

It's a lose-lose situation I'm afraid Conrad, because even an optically perfect lens can't beat diffraction. In short, you'll see no nett gain between those lenses unless you can get the film absolutely flat and work wide open. Even then you'll just get sharper grain/dye-clouds and no more real image detail.

It's 35mm film. It's never going to compete with a 36, 42 or 60 megapixel full-frame digital camera. And nobody expected it to back in the day.

• Like 1

I've always liked the PS-4 slide and neg copy attachment for the PB series of bellows. Now that we have the 105 mm Z macro, it would be really great to have a screw-on version of the PS-4. It would just need the right length tube so the ratio could be set 1:1. Too lazy to work this up myself right now, so just tossing the idea out there. IMO, it would be about the best slide and neg digitizer out there, especially if you had a Z7.

An FtoZ adapter and your old PB bellows with PS-4, perhaps? The old lenses will do the trick fine enough.

Edited by q.g._de_bakker

So, err, you want to make camera digitising as time consuming as using a film scanner? :confused:

I don't see the advantage of using a camera over using a scanner except that the scanner generally takes seconds (or even minute) for 1 scan but if he does stacking it would take a lot more time than the scanner.

I don't see the advantage of using a camera over using a scanner except that the scanner generally takes seconds (or even minute) for 1 scan but if he does stacking it would take a lot more time than the scanner.

Hmm. I've had my PB-4 and PS-4 for > 50 years. I've had a 55/2.8 MicroNikkor AIS for 35 years. I recently broke down and bought a used D810. I don't have a scanner.

Please explain to me why I should buy a scanner. And please send money.

Hmm. I've had my PB-4 and PS-4 for > 50 years. I've had a 55/2.8 MicroNikkor AIS for 35 years. I recently broke down and bought a used D810. I don't have a scanner.

Please explain to me why I should buy a scanner. And please send money.

But many have scanners but no bellow. Bellows isn't cheap and as you know there is none made for the mirrorless.

But many have scanners but no bellow. Bellows isn't cheap and as you know there is none made for the mirrorless.

I have a perfectly good scanner. It takes well over 1 minute to do a full res scan, then add tinkering about time in post to get the colour right. There's also no manual adjustment for exposure, nor any way to fine tune the AF. Plus the lens is probably set to a sub-optimal aperture.

Apart from that, it's wondetful! (Add irony emoticon here)

I have a perfectly good scanner. It takes well over 1 minute to do a full res scan, then add tinkering about time in post to get the colour right. There's also no manual adjustment for exposure, nor any way to fine tune the AF. Plus the lens is probably set to a sub-optimal aperture.

I think you've just answered your own question of..

So, err, you want to make camera digitising as time consuming as using a film scanner? :confused:

Yes! If the slide deserves it....:D

Sub optimal lens, no exposure nor focus adjustment...

You need to reconsider your definition of "perfectly good".

• Like 1