Now That Your Pefectly Fine 5DII is Useless ...

anthony_bridges

<p>FD -<br /> I don’t think the OP was literal in meaning.<br /> I perceive that the OP is a twofold sardonic comment pitched towards those who have the need to "must upgrade" for Upgrading’s Sake; and also a quip, adressing the true value of: a "perfectly fine" but "useless" camera. <br /> I think it is a nicely worded comment at which we should giggle, and not take seriously.</p>

<p>Maybe you thought that too - but just in the case that you didn't . . .</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>And a nice ref. to 2009, also.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>What makes you think it's useless. It is a good as it was last year.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I think there was some irony intended here.</p>

<p>I read somewhere that Americans only recognise irony when you add <em>'just kidding'</em> to the end of the line!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Now that your perfectly fine 5DII is useless with the 5DIII coming.....</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Indeed it is, indeed it is. Yesterday at Focus on Imagining, I could actually get close to one without queuing for half an hour! And there were several dealers there clearly having a fire sale - dumping stocks of these useless old clunkers at never-before-seen prices (in the UK). They obviously found a lot of suckers, because they seemed to be selling quite a lot of them.... Obviously no-one had told the buyers that the 5DII had deteriorated dreadfully in the previous five days, because they all seemed happy bunnies!</p>

<p>I'm saving up for a 5DIII... or is it a 1DX?... and if I can't afford that, then maybe a D800. Or there's that Fuji... No way would you find me going anywhere near one of those 5DIIs. Definitely not. Not at all. I mean who buy one? Can't anyone else see how bad all those pictures taken with it look now?</p>

<p>This is hysterical and oh so true...and yes, we do understand irony over here...well, maybe some of us do...lol, not kidding, etc...thank for a very realistic and useful post. I own a 5m M2, which I love dearly, but have an order in for a D800 I'm thinking of canceling...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I read somewhere that Americans only recognise irony when you add <em>'just kidding'</em> to the end of the line!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Steve, that stings a bit. We may not be quite so proficient in it as our Brit counterparts, but for many of us, irony is still a second language. Also allow me to remind you of something George Carlin once said, paraphrasing here: Think about how dumb the average person is, and then remember half of them are dumber than that.</p>

<blockquote>

</blockquote>

<p>Too true! Ouch, that one hits close to home! OTOH, some American statements <em>aren't</em> actual irony, so unlike some of our friends across the pond, we aren't constantly being hammered with ironic statements... unfortunately that has a rather negative effect on our sitcoms...</p>

<p>After just over 3 years with it I have suddenly discover the Af on my 5DII is useless and it shoots so slowly that I miss all the action. On a more serious note I would "upgrade" but the price increase is quite steep. The better high ISO performance, faster frame rate and significant AF improvements do appeal to me.</p>

<p>The 5d MKll is nothing if not versatile and with the 70-200 2.8 connected to it makes for a dandy doorstop or paperweight. You can also tie your Chihuahua's leash to it to keep him from running off. Or if your motor home requires a chock block so that it doesn't roll away on a hill.</p>

<p>Steve, I believe over here that irony and sarcasm are less familiar languages, while in (mostly southern) England they are the native tongue. I've intentionally not mentioned the other inhabitants of Great Britain, who I've found to be substantially polite, in general conformity with American cultural preferences. There is also a very large and often unnoticed component of the southern English population that is actually polite, so one cannot draw overly broad generalizations. The royal family comes to mind -- VERY nice folks.</p>

<p>Just kidding, of course.</p>

<p>PS uuuuuuuussssssssszxcvbnm,./.rt;lkjh';slkfg Please insert and/or substitute these extra letters as desired.</p>

<p>PPS To the OP: As Canon will still be producing and selling the 5DII, I wouldn't look for it to be dumped onto the used market in significant numbers. The good news for you is that Canon will be reducing the price of the 5DII, which will also drive down used prices.</p>

<p>This reminds me of the day my son told me I was out dated because i still had a "Black" Iphone4 and had not upgraded to the new "White" Iphone4. Or how when I upgraded my outdated Iphone 3S to the Iphone4 only to find out it got worse reception. But , hey at least I'm cool until the white Iphone 5's come out. Ooops. I said "cool" that's got to be an out dated word.<br>

Seriously, I have learned that my photography actullay didn't change much going from a Canon 30D with a kit lens to a Canon 5D2 with a Canon 17-40 F4L and Tamron 28-75 F2.8. Buying newer better equipment is absolutely not going to make my photography improve if my photography SKILLS never improve. <br>

Actually I find I use my Android Gallaxy 2 more than I used my Iphone4 because I am not scared of dropping and shattering the fragile glass screen on Iphone4. In a similar way I feel more comfortable and shoot more often with my Canon 5D2 and Canon 28 1.8 lens as it doesn't stand out as much and I feel a little less at risk as I do when toting around say my 85 1.2L.<br>

I really think the camera you have with you the most and shoot with often will in the end give you the best results...</p>

<p> </p>

<p>No, it's not useless! Buy a 5DII or 5DIII. Set it up on a tripod in a park. Then lay the 5D on a park bench, and video people's reaction to it as they walk by. Do they laugh at it? Do they curse at it? ("You worthless piece of junk!") Does anyone actually want to make off with it, and how embarrassed do they look if they do? This really has good candid video potential.</p>