now, how did that happen...... ?

lintrathen

<p>Wandering through the Top Rated Photo's Gallery I was rather surprised to find a listed image, on which I had commented only a day or so ago.<br>

I returned to it to see how it had faired so brightly......... however the stats returned the following - <br>

Viewed 47 times<br>

Comments 2<br>

Rating - Not enough to count average yet.</p>

<p>So how, pray tell, does this particular image get recognition as a <strong>top rated photo.</strong><br>

I obviously do not want to embarrass the photographer, but will forward the info (in private) if required.<strong><br /></strong></p>

<p>Just interested</p>

<p>Sorry David, I accepted that as a given (thanks for responding) but maybe should have clarified further -<br>

using the default criteria of All, Past 3 days and Recent Ratings.............. are we saying that within the "Recent Ratings", although the image itself has "not enough to count average yet" shown, it may have the highest (even only one) recorded rating(s) for the 3 day period?<br>

Wow, that's a high accolade for minimum effort...............<br>

That said, all the other images that I checked had sufficient high ratings to warrant their placing on the Top Rated category.<br>

I wouldn't have bothered with a check if I hadn't posted critiques a day or so earlier.</p>

<p>For awhile now the TRP has been using the <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Wobegon#The_Lake_Wobegon_effect">Lake Wobegon Effect</a> algorithm. In order to offset possible harm to self esteem from receiving cowardly anonymous ratings lower than 6 or 7, all photos submitted for ratings now have an opportunity to appear at least somewhere on the TRP, if only briefly. On photo.net, rest assured that even if you cannot be certain whether the cowardly anon rated your photo 1, 3 or 5, <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusory_superiority">everyone is above average</a>.</p>

<p>Lex, thanks for the laugh! As for Grayham's question, although you need 5 ratings to get an average score listed on your images, only 3 ratings are needed to get in the TRP... I am unsure why recent ratings would be your selection, it does not rank by average score overall. I always select All ratings average.</p>

<p>Hi Line............ thanks for the explanation. On my monitor, the default headings included "recent ratings" and the image I questioned was already displayed, so I just clicked a few more pages out of interest.<br>

Not a forum (or area ) I normally bother with on PN.<br>

Thanks for your time<br>

Regards</p>

<p>Grayham, <br>

The best way to check on images you commented on is to go to your workspace and expand the Photo Critiques section. You will then have a few options including: Follow-up on your comments on others' photos. The list of images is updated by the most recent comments... if you responded to a comment on one of your own image, it will also show up in the list when you get new comments. I find this option very useful...</p>