Novoflex PRALEI adaptor: What is the 'PRA'?

This (see photo) Novoflex adaptor obviously makes it possible to

attach Leica screw mount lenses on something -but what? It is not in

the current line of Novoflex adaptors, and a Google search did not

come up with something useful. Does anyone know?<div>003NLw-8412484.thumb.jpg.08922d0df990ec4655c22a5e81aea6da.jpg</div>

Niels

I guess, yes. Novoflex makes, and made, all kinds of wild accessories, so an adapter to use M39 lenses and lens heads on a Practica bellows wouldn't surprise me. Did you consider e-mailing Novoflex to learn more about it? And please tell us what they say!</p>And weren't there those Russian <i>SLR</i> lenses that connected to the camera via an M39x1 thread?

Measure the diameter of the *male* threads. Leica screw is 39mm. Praktica is the same as Pentax, also referred to as Universal Thread: 42mm. It was standard for Novoflex that the 1st part of the code referred to the body type and the second part to the lens (eg. LEINIK=Nikon lens on Leica body) so it should be in this case PRALEI=Leica lens on Praktica body. Your point about the back-focus is valid; however LTM 39mm is also very common for enlarging lenses and these were used frequently as macro lenses on a bellows with 35mm SLR's, so it is possible that's what this adaptor is for. Actual Leica LTM lenses are not really that well corrected for the macro range.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually it has a bajonet male part! There seem to be something called a 'Praktica Bajonet'. A google search did give some hits this, but nothing useful in English. The bajonet hole should be around 48.5 mm diameter -could it be medium format perhaps?.

<br>I haven't got an answer from Novoflex yet.

Niels