Novoflex lens mounts

peter_may

I acquired an old (its a pre-set lens, probably at least 20 years old) Novoflex 400mm f/5.6 lens with some sort of interchangeable mount system. The thread doesn't fit a standard t-mount. Just for kicks, I'd like to play around with the follow-focus system and see what the optical quality is like. Does anyone know anything about the mounting system for these lenses and whether they are useable on Nikon AF bodies, and if so, who can supply the appropriate lens mount? Thanks for any help.

I have used the current version of the Novoflex lens with my Nikon 8008, and it did work just fine. I am not sure which version of the lens mount you have. Even the modern lenses were pre-set, so it's kind of hard to tell which one you had. The current model - Pigriff-C or

something like that - should have an option to link up to the electric cable release of your Nikon.

Since you talk about a thread on the lens mount, you might have the "B" model. The newer "C" gripp uses a breech-lock system to lock the camera adapter in place. As far as I know B&H in New York still carry the Novoflex stuff. Try them for the adapter.

As for the optical quality and the concept of the follow focus lens -

I pretty much stopped using mine. The lens is OK, but the images are obviously less contrasty and a lot flatter than the images I get with a ED-IF 300 f/4 lens. And even with the all the grips and shoulder stocks, it is kind of hard to get a sharp image without a tripod. But then again, at least with my lens it's really hard to attach a tripod or to use the lens on the tripod. One interesting thing, however, is that Leica now makes replacement optics for the Novoflex follow focus mount. That might make a big difference...

Please feel free to ask me if there are any more questions I might be able to help you with

Ralph

• 10 months later...