Novel / Bizarre Problem with B&W

I have a problem that I have never seen before and have a hard time understanding. Perhaps someone might have an idea what might have caused the problem?

As you can see from the two black and white scans. the film itself "picked up" images off the paper backing, or conversely, images from the paper backing migrated onto the film. Other negatives were oddly "cloudy" or rather "speckled" or "dusted." In some cases, as with Scan A, both effects are visible.

At first I thought the problem was due to ageing, because some of the film was twenty-five or thirty-year old Efke, but the scans in question are fresh Rollei RPX100.

Scan A was shot in Saudi Arabia; it was 45C / 100F give or take, but due to the very low humidity (7% RH), it wasn't terribly oppressive, and so long as the camera was shielded from the sun, it didn't become noticeably hot to the touch.

Scan B, however, was shot in utterly dissimilar conditions, indoors in Poland; the temperature was approximately 68F.

Could these effects have been caused by airport x-rays? The film had passed through as many as a half-dozen or more international airports, in checked baggage, not carry-on.

Some fifteen rolls of film were ruined in this fashion. Any idea what happened here?

Thanks,

Joseph

ScanB.thumb.jpg.9056f88a7b0e4ce2168631ae68680e22.jpg

ScanA.thumb.jpg.32d1d586b29be1d32568c310dcd44863.jpg

There was a problem with 'actinic' ink on the backing paper of one manufacturer's film a while back, but since you've got this issue with two widely different batches of film, it's most likely due to X-ray damage.

I can't remember which maker stupidly used actinic ink, but a search on this forum should show the relevant threads.

kodak tmax had backing paper bleed but thats been long time resolved. unless you still have some of the bad batch in your stash?

illford had a couple rare cases but some believe that was a storage problem.

the extensive conversations were mostly on APUG, ill try to find it later n post the link.

your case just may be storage and age related problems, not manufacture defect. the rollie may be defect since i do remember a couple complaints in that thread concerning your film.

x-ray can be a cause as well.

The more you say, the less people listen.

If your film is corrupted by airport X rays, it will have uneven vertical masses in the developed film. Remember, the xrays pass thru the film in a fixed position, exposing both the film and the 120 spool. The frames shown above indicate the film & backing paper have a bleed problem. I am sure the company that provided Kodak with their "bummer" ink did not dump the lot when Kodak stopped using it. . .a salesperson was set loose upon the world and "dumped" the remaining lot into other hands. Agfa & other firms long ago gave up doing everything inhouse. . . these days it's the cheapest bid in todays email.

I would NEVER put my film into my checked baggage. . . that X ray machine is many times the power of your TSA belt-box. Bill

If your film is corrupted by airport X rays, it will have uneven vertical masses in the developed film.

- That would be true for one X-ray dose from one orientation. However, the OP says that the film/baggage went through several X-ray examinations.

There's some spotty stippling on the film too, which doesn't look at all connected with any backing paper markings.

X-ray damage would be what my money would be on, if I was a gambling man.

Interesting that the backing-paper ink appears to be opaque to X-rays though.o_O

The words "Exposed" look too consistent. They will be rolled up a turn or two around the spool.

OK, the backing paper says "Exposed" after the last exposure on the roll, so this is in contact with the film before exposure.

At that part of the roll, it is probably three or four turns around the spool per frame.

It would be interesting to know where this is on the roll.

I believe I have seen the second effect from old film.

If it gets slightly damp, the gelatin will soften and stick to the paper.

As some point, I think it is amazing that this doesn't happen more often, especially

considering that some old film might be in contact with the paper for many years.

As I understand it, the usual airport X-ray machines use a scanning beam, so tend to result in diagonal

lines across the image. The metal of a camera or 35mm cassette will provide some protection.

Not much protection for 120 film, though.

TSA claims their machines are safe to ISO 800. Sometimes I might take film though many times,

so often ask for hand inspection. I believe that US checked baggage scanners are not safe.

Other countries don't allow for hand inspection, and may be unsafe for checked or carry-on.

-- glen

Note that it is mostly not shooting conditions, but storage once outside the sealed wrapper.

If you take a camera, or unwrapped film, from a cold area to a warm area, it will tend to

condense water out of the air, even if the RH isn't so high. This might happen easiest

on the current frame, and then with any condensed water, wind onto the take-up spool.

But any condition where cold film is taken to a warm environment could do it.

There are warnings about frozen or refrigerated film, to keep it in the airtight

containers to warm up before opening. You mention shooting temperature,

but not storage.

-- glen