Novatron 880 power supply and lights

annie_d

I have the opportunity to purchase a Novatron 880 power supply with two lights included, a few sets of umbrellas, a couple of light stands,

and a few other accessories. The person selling is asking ~$300-$350 for the whole set. The power pack was taken to the Novatron

supply center and rebuilt last year, and is in mint condition. My question is if it is worth the price that is being asked and the reliability of a

rebuilt system. I was searching ebay and saw the same power packs and pairs of lights going for $20. However I am not well versed

when it comes to strobe systems and I am a little bit confused. Any advice for me?

<p>That sounds like a great deal to me. If you decide to pass, give me the contact info and I'll buy it.</p>

<p>I used to be a warranty service station for Novatron, so I'm pretty familiar with what's inside.<br /> They're very well built and highly reliable. Made right here in the USA.</p>

<p>Having been rebuilt you should easily expect 10 years of use, probably more.</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>

<p>My Novatron monlight units are probably 15 years old and have never needed service, so from my experience Novatron is a good product. The 880 pack and two heads was probably $750 new (I'm guessing here). I would say $300 for a set that you've actually seen and been able to check out that has been serviced recently vs. $20 plus shipping (easily $50 given weight, size and need to carefully pack) on something from a stranger is a good deal.</p>

<p>Leigh can tell you if there is any standard process to "refurbish" Novatron flashes.<br /> If it involves replacing the flash tube, and the power capacitor ? ? ? then you are set for life..:)</p>

<p>... my apology for testing multiple question marks, that generally are not allowed...:)</p>

The "standard" refurbish would be replacing the capacitors. They're supplied as a set, so you replace all of them at once.

The flash tube would be replaced if it showed discoloration, but that seldom happens. They have a very long service life.

- Leigh