Not the easiest forum to navigate

jeremy_rundle

<p>The blandness is, in my experience, one of PN's greatest virtues. Very soothing, compared to the eye-jarring look and feel of most other forums. Yes, it's old-school in a lot of ways, that's for sure.<br /><br />In a given forum, you can indeed see what's new since your previous visit. Navigate into the forum of choice, and use the link near the top right to filter things down.</p><div>00ddhR-559790884.jpg.1650e24c4eda7deb19bb2104b2628bde.jpg</div>

<p>I agree navigation on this site isn't ideal, and not obvious enough (highlighted by the fact that Matt needs to explain a feature that ought to be obvious...).<br>

Bland is often a design choice. I like it, as I feel too many sites loose their focus on what matters most (content) over flashy designs and the latest scripting features. It may make a site look cool at first sight, but long term use: simple things just work. And most of these flashy design things aren't all that user-centric at all.</p>

<p>There is a beta-version of this site, which looks pretty nice and fixes a good number of its issues. Hopefully it can go from beta to live in a near future (please?) :-)</p>

<p>Jeremy,<br>

You've recently signed up with Photo.net. Welcome. I hope you'll come to appreciate the site for it's content, regardless of the look.</p>

<p>This is a big site and it takes awhile to learn where everything is. There are also quite a few folks who will help you figure things out. It doesn't work or look like flashy glitzy modern sites with 2 sentence quips and an icon or image that really say nothing and don't get you anywhere. But, you have been posting in forums here, so you're learning how to get around.</p>

<p>Go into your workspace here on the site and on the right side you'll see a list of items that you can set preferences on. One item, at the bottom of that list, will let you sort by date of thread creation or last post. Maybe that will help.</p>

<p>No, there isn't a way to see everything at once, but when you enter a forum of interest, then you do see threads and can sort them in many ways. Best Wishes.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The blandness is, in my experience, one of PN's greatest virtues. Very soothing, compared to the eye-jarring look and feel of most other forums. </p>

</blockquote>

<p>Perfect, Matt. My sentiments, exactly. <br>

I remember when the newspaper sites I frequent were so simple and easy to read but every 12 months or so someone has to 'modernize' them for no real reason that always involves unnecessary changes and learning curves. The results always seem to be screaming at me with different fonts and coloured banners, scrolling texts and auto-start video feeds. I don't believe in fixing what wasn't broken to begin with. It's a pity some need all that visual stimulation to remain interested. </p>