Not a lot of money to spend... what medium format camera?

ellea

<p>Hi guys,<br /> I want to buy a medium format camera as I'm studying mf photography at the moment. At college we've been using the Mamiya RB 67 Pro S which through the limited experience I have using it and through what I've heard, is a very good camera. However I've searched for them on eBay and they're too expensive for me.<br /> What I wanted to know is what is a good quality mf camera for a fairly low price range. I'm looking for one that takes 6x7 120 film.<br /> I really don't have a lot to spend at all - say $200 AUD. I'm not even sure this can get me a mf camera.<br /> Thanks for the advice</p>

<p>Elle</p>

<p>$200 AUD = $132 USD per xe.com when I typed in the numbers a minute ago. A distinctly limited budget.</p>

<p>That could get you an old folder that's been CLA'ed and restored, or (if you look a little) a usable Yashicamat TLR. Anything less money is likely to be either sheer luck at finding a screaming good deal, or something like a Holga with funky optics (which can be exploited for interesting special effects, but are probably not what you're looking for).</p>

<p>There are only a few 6x7 cameras that were made: Pentax, Mamiya, Bronica, Fuji and then there are 6x7 backs for view cameras. I believe all are out of your price range. Same for any of the good 6x6s. Maybe a used 35mm film camera would be easier to pay for. There is a good 120 pinhole camera that will give you 6x7, but the exposures are very very long. You can use a powerful flash with it though.</p>

<p>TLRs are unfashionable, but they're good cameras and have advantages that have been amply discussed here before. I know neither of these is 6 x 7, but:</p>

<p>(i) You can probably get an older Rolleicord within your budget, like a Rolleicord II or III from the early 1950s. Look for one with a four-element (Xenar) lens, as opposed to a triplet (Triotar). Alternatively you might find a user Rolleiflex Automat with a Tessar for quite cheap, as I pointed out was possible in <a href="00Sl5N">this recent thread</a>.</p>

<p>(ii) Alternatively, you could probably find an older Mamiya TLR, like a C3 or C33, with an 80mm lens or a 105. These cameras have certain advantages and disadvantages, notably weight. Them that like 'em tend to really like 'em. </p>

<p>Whatever you do, buy on condition, and try to get a guarantee that the film transport and shutter are working reliably.</p>

<p>Ok, serious? That's <em>nothing</em> your budget is overdrawn by the shipping cost already.</p>

<p><em><strong>But:</strong> </em> Have you ever heard something about the <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holga">Holga</a> ? This is the best camera for your purposes. It teachs you the photography from the bottom up, cost half your budget (if you lost it you still can buy another one), you will get a brand new camera and years later if you are a pro taking no care on budgets any more, you still will love your Holga.</p>

<p>Hi all,<br>

Thanks for your replies. I have looked at a lot of the cameras you have suggested on eBay and they are over my budget.I didn't think I'd be able to afford a medium format at the moment.<br /> About the Holga, I've looked at that, but I'm not sure about the quality of it. Even without extreme faults like light leaks, strange colours, etc., I was looking at some images taken by Holga 120s and they seem dark and not very sharp.<br>

I'll just have to rely on the college supply of cameras until I can afford my own camera. Can you believe that there are 60 students studying photography in my year that need these cameras, and there are only 9 to go around??<br>

Cheers,<br>

Elle</p>

<p>Consider also the Mamiya Press and Koni-Omega cameras. They both took 6x7.</p>

<p>Another route is to get an old Crown Graphic and the Graflex/Graphic 6x7 roll film back.</p>

<p>Perhaps your instructor would have some more ideas?</p>

<p>Also, there are lots of the 6x9 folders floating around. The Moskva 4 and 5 come to mind. You could use one of those and crop the pictures. You'd save lots of money, which could be spent on film.</p>

<p >Given the current exchange rates, you're probably better off looking more locally - Oz or NZ. The local kiwi auction site (www.trademe.co.nz) has had quite a few reasonably priced 6x7 MF cameras recently, so you <em>could</em> get lucky. You may even be able to find a Mamiya Press camera within your budget or Koni Omega.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Alternatively, if you can go to 6x6, then a whole new world opens up - TLRs such as the Yashicas, Mamiya C220/C330, Rolleicord, etc. You could also get a decent, serviced folder with coupled rangefinder, like a Super Ikonta or Mamiya Six. If you really want to have an SLR, you might look at a (serviced) Pentacon 6TL.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >From leftfield, you can get a 2x3 press camera, like a Century or Speed Graphic. Get one with a rangefinder if you can. You can then have 6x6, 6x7 or 6x9 depending on the film back.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Whatever you go for, make sure the camera is tested & fully operational, or you'll need to set aside some money for a service (CLA).</p>

<p>An excellent MF camera for very little money are any on the old folders that don't have a rangefinder but just zone focus. I used to have a 1950s era Ansco Viking that shot 6x9 and cost me $30 USD off of Ebay. They have a three element coated lens but stopped down to f11 produce excellent pictures. Of course they're only really in focus at infinity since "zone focusing" just means guess focusing at anything but infinity but if you don't mind confining your photography to landscape they work fine.</p>

<p>But if you want a camera that you can actually focus then the only economical alternative, as Michael suggests, is the Koni-Omega that shoots 6x7 and has a rangefinder built in, which can usually be had for around $125-$200 USD for the body and 90mm lens, or the Crown Graphic with a 100-105 lens, Graflok back and either a 6x7 or 6x9 roll film back, which can go for a little more than the Koni. But you have to be careful as the older models don't necessarily come with Grafloc backs and so can't take roll film holders. But before you buy ehther one of these cameras you should do a lot of research on them first as there are variations.</p>

<p>You get what you pay for. Seriously, save a little longer and buy a RB67 when you have the money. I wouldn't advise getting a vintage camera or a limiting TLR for a beginner if you want a professional SLR. In case you haven't noticed, those Holga recommendations are tongue-in-cheek, and those folder aficionados are people who are good at photography but sometimes want something different, something "alternative". Hardly worth your time and money if you are just starting out.</p>

<p>But if you are so low on funds, do you have a light meter to get the proper exposure? And have you calculated how much each photo you take costs (in film, processing and printing)?</p>

<p>Mamiya C220 if you want to expand to other lenses, Minolta Autocord or venerable folder if not. Good luck, the MF difference is not to sneeze at as it can yield very high quality results (but be careful, cameras made for Oz may have to have the film transport direction reversed to comply with the gravitational field down under, the wrong side of the road driving and drinking of beer with the left arm and hand). </p>

<p>OOPs, 6x7. That is harder, but some of the Zeiss or Voigtlander folders will do that. Lens quality varies among them, and you have to be sure that the folding mechanics and the shutter and light traps (felt, sponge) are in good shape. Best to buy with an understanding about repair if problematic. Why not a 6x6 or 6x4,5 and compensate by using finer grained film (and a tripod where necessary)?</p>

<p>Another vote for the Koni-Omega series.<br>

I just snagged one a few weeks back as my first foray in to 6x7; although I do have a 6x7 roll film holder for my Super Graphic.</p>

<p>I love the Koni-Omega and it does indeed have amazing glass. Only negative I have found is the grip is a little uncomfortable no matter which way I adjust it.</p>

<p>Elle,</p>

<p>If you are patient, you will probably be able a Mamiya RB67 with 120 back, WLF, and normal lens for right around that price. If you don't opt for a fancy lens or prism finder, these cameras are going for right around $150US these days on eBay, and one or more will eventually go for less than that. Start looking daily on eBay, be patient, and you will find one.</p>