Not a 35-105mm? (OM)

jenny_jaques

A couple of weeks ago on this thread: http://www.photo.net/olympus-camera-forum/00PsD2 , members were offering comments

about their favourite OM lenses.

I had been trying to find out here'n'there what preferences folk may have for either the f3.6 or the

f3.5-4.5 35-70mm zoom lens. Interesting that no-one had even mentioned the 35-105 zoom.

Any feedback welcome. I'm going to help a young fellow build on his OM10 with 50mm f1.8 outfit.

Thanks

Moving away from a zuiko, I really love my Tamron 35-70/3.5. It is tiny, a hair larger then the zuiko 35-70/3.5-4.5, a bit lighter then the constant f/3.6 zuiko and a bit heavier then the 3.5-4.5. It has a close focus distance of about half of either (9.8", for a reproduction size of 1:2.8), its also faster then either zuiko lens, a constant aperature and has great sharpness at all focal lengths. Its also cheaper then either zuiko lens (I purchased mine from KEH for around $55 if you include shipping and getting an OM adaptall-2 adapter from Ebay)

I have both the 35-70, f3.6, and the 35-105 Zuiko zooms.

The 35-70, f3.6. A superb lens, both as regards build and optical quality. One of the top two zooms ever produced by Olympus, only bettered by the extremely expensive 35-80, f2.8. It might be considered a bit on the heavier side by some but remember that this is a real "professional" quality lens. Make sure that you get the correct hood for this lens, (not the one for the f4 lens).

The 35-105. A relative newcomer to my "stable" but so far, very promising. Perhaps, IMHO, it does not quite have the optical quality of the 35-70, f3.6, but it does have a very handy wider zoom range and the macro facility. Once again, excellent build quality.

Whichever you may chose, Jenny, feel satisfied that you will have a typical Zuiko quality lens.

One reason that the Olympus fan-boys usually don't mention the 35-105 lens is that it was a run-of-the-mill (good) lens which hasn't differentiated itself from the many others (Nikon, Yashica, Minolta=Tokina, Mamiya, Osawa, Rollei, Makina, Osawa, Sigma) introduced at around the same time: all had a similar size and weight, and the close focus ability (hated by some, loved by others). The Canon fan-boys can at least point out that "their" corresponding FD lens had the first glass molded aspheric element.