Norm’s Phone Friday 30 Mar 2018

Norman 202

Isn’t a big part of what’s making her look closer in the second shot the fact that a) she’s closer and b) she’s much less in shadow? No doubt the warmer tones are having an impact, but I think somewhat less than these two other factors.

Be interesting to take the exact same shot, same exposure and shadow level and just change from warm to cool and see how that affects sense of distance.

One of the ways I’ve used warm and cold tonality is in getting a subject to stand out more, as well as to affect mood. Making a background a bit colder will often bring more attention to a somewhat warmer subject and vice versa, each with a different emotional impact.

As to temperature and tone, I’ll take a stab but I’m no expert. I’ve always thought the tone of something was like the degree of its color, as we look at the changing degree of tonality on the hues of a color wheel or in paint chips, for example. How much white or black you add to a can or tube of paint will change and determine its tone. I think of color temperature as being determined more by the light as opposed to inherent characteristics of the colored things themselves. Things like the material and dyes themselves determine tonality, while the sun, clouds, fog, filters, reflections determine temperature. ???

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

Isn’t a big part of what’s making her look closer in the second shot the fact that a) she’s closer and b) she’s much less in shadow? No doubt the warmer tones are having an impact, but I think somewhat less than these two other factors

I think you are right but when I had the temps reversed (warmer further away), it looked a bit odd when the photos were viewed together. Or maybe, that was just me :)

Also, the getting closer/warm thing was a reference to a game we played as kids where we had to search for a hidden object. The only clues we were given as to the location of the object was being told how warm(close) or how cold(not close) we were.

Maybe, subconsciously, it was the word association of the game that made the reversed images look odd

(I think the game was called “hunt the thimble”)