Noritsu scanner question

<p>I have a Noritsu HS-1800 (actually a converted S4, for USB TWAIN connection).<br>

I hope some member of this forum can help me with a few problems.<br>

1) The scans are rather grainy. I've tried to set the grain reduction in the PJP/DSA module to reduce the grain but I can't set it to more than "10" under any circumstances (it goes up to 50) and if I set any other parameters, such as adjust the contrast, highlights or shadows, I can't select even "1" on the grain reduction. using "10" on the grain reduction hardly makes any difference and I'm more or less forced to use Imageonics Noiseware or Topaz DeNoise, which does a good job but is time consuming. <br>

2) I have a spare slide film carrier. It's not quite the right model for my scanner but I bought it for the mechanical spares, as one day they will probably needed. n this scanner (which fits perfectly into the HS-1800, BTW) I note that it has a diffuser over the light entry. The 135/240MMC-ll that is the right carrier for the HS-1800 doesn't. From my film days, a diffused light source gave a much software and less grainy image than a condenser light source. Might a diffused light source do the same with mine?<br>

I've tried with and without Digital ICE and tried with and without the emulsion side dust removal software. Although the Digital ice is obviously working, I'm not so sure that the emulsion side dust removal does much at all.<br>

I'm not sure whether I'm using the most up to date TWAIN driver or not (I can't seem to find any way of determining this). I just can't get any information from any Noritsu outlet (USA/Canada/UK, Australia etc). They all want me to be on a service contract before they'll even speak to me and as this machine is only for amateur use, a service contract would be impossibly expensive.<br>

As a matter of interest, is the grain reduction on the Noritsu sophisticated or does it just smooth out the image after the scan? - It could be that it's not worth using anyway. I never know with scanner software whether they all do exactly the same scan, irrespective of a dark or light negative and then try and resuscitate the image afterwards. Or do the DSA settings actually change the parameters at the scanning stage?<br>

Any help or advice appreciated.<br>

Ian</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I just can't get any information from any Noritsu outlet (USA/Canada/UK, Australia etc). They all want me to be on a service contract before they'll even speak to me and as this machine is only for amateur use, a service contract would be impossibly expensive.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Ran into something similar helping out a fine art gallery owner new to color management, wide format scanner, digital imaging workstation and HP wide format printer.</p>

<p>The business machine contractor didn't want to talk to me and answer my tech questions, only the gallery owner, who did have a contract with them only they wanted to charge $200 a session for over the phone consulting.</p>

<p>I doubt you're going to get much helpful advice here on how to operate a Noritsu. I attempted to read the users manual at Walmart's Fuji Frontier scanner/printer setup so I could tell the operator how to generate higher rez scans and gave up. It was too complicated full of proprietary language instructions and acronyms.</p>

<p>You might try to email Scott Martin on this site...</p>

<p>http://www.on-sight.com/</p>

<p>He has a thorough background on the use of such commercial equipment.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I hated the results of the degrain filter on Noritsu scans by A&I (http://aandi.com/scanning). A friend aptly referred to it as a "wax museum look". For some weird reason, it kept coming on by default when A&I was doing Noritsu scans for me last year, and I had to constantly ask them to re-do certain scans with it turned off, which they did at no additional charge.</p>

<p>I started this forum topic, and posted screenshots showing a section of Noritsu scans with and without the degrain filter:</p>

<p>Noritsu 1700SA Scans-A Difference Then & Now<br>

http://www.photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00b4jX</p>

<p>I have no idea whether your set up involves the same degrain filter, though. I am not familiar with the different models, supplied software, etc.</p>

<p>I had a similar experience with Noritsu with respect to technical support. They wouldn't talk to me to answer technical questions, though I had about 3,000 images scanned on their equipment. I also started this forum topic, with a technical question about resolution, which they refused to address:</p>

<p>Determining Precise Resolution & Area of Film in Noritsu Scans<br>

http://www.photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00bz5u</p>

• 3 years later...