Non photographers complains about your gear?

RaymondC

We have heard about others saying we buy too much stuff, spend too much money, take too much time. It's not your job. It is that time of the year again and whilst I haven't shot slide film for over a year I thought about taking the projector out and giving it a go, got immediately told off. Then I was thinking if in the future I can learn and enjoy this hobby with some studio strobes, can't see that really happening. Many people say to best enjoy slide film is to project them right.

It doesn't matter who they are. It could be house mates or flat mates, even if the place is my own the partner or wife will complain. Maybe it is little wonder that many hobbyists only have 1 camera, 2 or 3 lenses and a speedlight which they bounce it. Because going on holiday if you spend just that too long on a photograph they again frown about it.

How is your mileage in this regard? I might need to reverse the car out of the garage and use that. Film guys might think, darkroom?! Taking a room and converting, that's a tsunami waiting to happen if you propose such an idea.

Thanks.

• Like 1

What Sandy said.

I can also suggest getting a cordless mouse - prevents your significant other from wrapping it around your neck.

Though maybe she'll just beat me over the head with the keyboard instead.

For me, taking photos isn't a problem, but editing on the computer drives me nuts and sends her absolutely loopy - solution, shoot jpeg, get it right in-camera.

Film and darkroom hasn't been an issue yet, maybe because I'm clearly doing something rather than just 'faffing on the computer'.

Finally, when she says 'dinner's ready', switch it off!

(She reads photo.net and occasionally posts - I love you dear.)

• Like 5

What Sandy said.

I can also suggest getting a cordless mouse - prevents your significant other from wrapping it around your neck.

Though maybe she'll just beat me over the head with the keyboard instead.

For me, taking photos isn't a problem, but editing on the computer drives me nuts and sends her absolutely loopy - solution, shoot jpeg, get it right in-camera.

Film and darkroom hasn't been an issue yet, maybe because I'm clearly doing something rather than just 'faffing on the computer'.

Finally, when she says 'dinner's ready', switch it off!

(She reads photo.net and occasionally posts - I love you dear.)

LOL - So right!

I am absolutely impossible and grumpy when editing RAW, and in the interest of world peace I have accepted that in-camera JPEG is my format - I find the "get it right in camera" approach to be closer to the way I'm thinking when shooting film anyway.

I find that If you are pleasant to be around, you get a lot of slack. If you can't be pleasant, take it outside alone like Conrad.

• Like 1
Niels

My technique has served me well on occasion, though admittedly I currently have no long-term SO, nor plans to find one. When previous incumbents of the post have made comments, I have always said 'I would love you to be more involved, dear - perhaps you'd like to pose for me ?' I would then hand her some 'clothing' in which I wished her to pose - she would take one look, and immediately recall a subsequent appointment, leaving me to peacefully pursue my hobby. To redress (sic) the balance, however, I was always happy to take any photos she requested me to - family, friends, pets etc - and of course they needed processing too ...
  • Like 3

Like any other hobby, those who aren't enthusiasts will always find fault in what gear etc, and in how many/much of this or that. Some of my motorcycle buddies swear that they just buy another bike of the same color as the others and nobody notices! Well, not until the contents of the garage overflow into the dining room. ;-0

As others mentioned, it's best to align yourself with folks of the same ilk; admittedly, that may be difficult (at best) if it means divorcing a wife/husband/partner of however many years. There may also be the option of building your own dedicated shed/shop/studio out back for your hobby, That way at least it's out of sight and out of mind. Until you file a spousal requisition for wall space for your "art"!

• Like 2

I don't give a hoot what most people think about how I do my photography or what equipment I use. Other photographers sometimes want to discuss equipment, usually for legitimate reasons, for example, because they are weighing the pros and cons of some choice. That's fine. I do the same. Some photographers start talking about equipment just because they are having GAS. I usually try to get out of those discussions. As for nonphotographers: if they are sincerely interested, fine. Otherwise, why pay any attention?

Maybe this attitude is apparent to people because apart from people who sincerely want to know, very few people ever comment to me about my equipment.

Partners/spouses are another matter, of course.

• Like 1

We are a rare breed indeed let's face it. I'm not sure what is the percentage of people who are interested in photography among the general population, but I would have to say it's less than 3%. That does not include people who use only their iPhones to take pictures.

Most people don't know anything about photography and could care less. Shutter speed, Aperture ares totally meaningless to them. They don't have the passion for photography like we do. We were all like that once until the photography bug bit us. To them a camera is just a tool to take family snap-shots, or travel photos. Aside from that, their cameras usually sits on the shelf until it starts growing cob-webs. Then they wonder why the camera doesn't work when they decide to use it again, which is once every blue moon...

When you tell them you are really interested in photography, they pull out their cell-phones, or point-and-shoots and start flipping trough thousands of family photos like there is no tomorrow. Of course when the time comes to take some serious pictures, they want you to do it all for free, since you have a nice camera.

At weddings sometimes I get treated like a used-car-salesman, or a con-man, but at least I'm getting paid. In their opinion, If you don't have a brick and mortar Studio on Main street, then you are just a hobbyist, or a guy with a nice camera. Anybody can do it(even Uncle Bill), all you have to do is point and shoot AND YOU WANT TO GET PAID FOR THIS OMG ?

• Like 4

While you're listening to their complaints, they're in control.

+1

A companion point: When what other people say lingers and/or bothers, it may mean that there's at least a bit of a ring of truth.

very few people ever comment to me about my equipment.

Sorry to hear that ... :eek:

• Like 2

"You talkin' to me?"

I'm realizing I'm on of the lucky ones that pulled a non-venomous one out of the bag, Sandy. My wife and I discovered a common interest in photography, and in fact it brought us together 30 years ago. I use the word "we" a lot when I talk about photography because she is quite engaged, carries a camera, and often finds the scene that I can't see. We each have our areas of interests, but I'm the dark room - computer person and I rarely get pushback on time spent there. When we did a major reno of the home a few years back she suggested a dedicated hobby room attached to the garage and we spend a "reasonable" amount of time working there on photography and her stained-glass obsessions. So, again, it's not an issue here at home - in fact I get into trouble if I don't bring a camera occasionally. What people outside our home think? Pfffttt....who cares.
  • Like 1

Beware the Non-Photographer who assumes you have a weapon in your hands, when all you have is your medium format camera. True story: Some time ago a rather aggressive guy approaching me said in a nasty voice "What's that ?" Shaking a little I replied "It's a camera". Believe or not, he then asked, in the same nasty voice, "How does it work ?" At this point the camera was indeed going to morph into a weapon, it was my C3 with Porroflex finder, heavy as. I said "You put a film in it and press the button", getting that out quickly before he got too much closer. To my relief he kept walking up the dirt track and I resumed photographing, with not just a little camera shake. I can only imagine this is a very rare occurrence but this psychopath certainly had me worried. He never relented from his aggressive demeanor even after realizing it really was a camera. It's a reminder for me to remember there's all kinds out there.
  • Like 1

Equally offensive is when someone admires your photos and says "You must have a really good camera." That works with musicians and their instruments too ;)

Horses seem to confuse tripods with weapons. In Northern Illinois we are forced to share our footpaths with horses and their droppings. It is an accommodation to assuage wealthy land owners who live near the paths, and who objected to the "undesirables" they would attract.

To make a long story short (ha!), a Benbo tripod looks suspiciously like a rocket launcher or squad automatic weapon. Horses would stop and refuse to pass in either direction until the rider dismounted and walked the horse until past the perceived danger.

Equally offensive is when someone admires your photos and says "You must have a really good camera."

Why is that offensive? I don't think I've ever had someone say it to me but, if they did, I wouldn't look for a way to over-interpret the compliment. If they admire the photo, there you have it. What they attribute that to ... much less important. "Wow, you got really lucky!" Is that offensive? "No, no," I must respond, "It's my skill as a photographer, darnit!" As long as I know what makes it a good photo, I'm not going to worry too much about viewers liking it for all the "right" reasons.

"You talkin' to me?"

Why is that offensive? I don't think I've ever had someone say it to me but, if they did, I wouldn't look for a way to over-interpret the compliment. If they admire the photo, there you have it. What they attribute that to ... much less important. "Wow, you got really lucky!" Is that offensive? "No, no," I must respond, "It's my skill as a photographer, darnit!" As long as I know what makes it a good photo, I'm not going to worry too much about viewers liking it for all the "right" reasons.

Yes.

I suspect some are used to not-so-good photos, possibly with cheaper cameras.

Most likely don't know to tell the signs of a good camera from a good photographer.

I still find it surprising, those contests and such, to show how well you can shoot using a Holga,

to overcome the faults of the camera. But a sharp, well focused and full resolution image stands

out, even if framed wrong or otherwise poorly photographed.

• Like 1

-- glen