non-flash daylight balanced light bulb?

sabrina_h.

Hello, I'd like to know if there is a non-flash daylight balanced bulb on the market (for

portrait photography)? ... about the size of a "standard" household light bulb?

thanks in advance

if there are previous post on the subject, please feel free to redirect (took a look around

but didnt know what to search for).

I don't know if that exists but I were you I would buy a Lee or Rosco half sheet of HT (high temperature) tungsten to daylight lighting filter gel (ref 201 or 204?) and position it between the bulb and your subject. It cost ?3.95 here in the UK and you can reuse it on as many household lightbulb as you want.

If you want a more permanent solution I'm sure there are some blue painted bulbs you can buy from art supply store or maybe photographic stores.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Yes, they make daylight balanced photofloods, and they will fit into a cheapie, hardware-store clamp light. You can sling a bunch of them together and make a soft box, but they're not very powerful and the bulbs don't last that long.

<br><br>

We used to use them for low-budget movie lighting, as you can literally tape them to the ceiling and use foam-core and diffusion to build a soft box around them. With a little teasing on the edges, you can come up with something that will emulate Gordon Wilis's moody Godfather look. We'd dim them slightly, which reduces the color tempt to tungsten level but doubles the life-span of the bulb. That's fine for movie stock, which has a wide selection of tungsten film.

<br><br>

You also could use a 1000 w Home Depot worklight and some color balancing gel held on w/ wooden clothes pins. (Those things are HOT.)

<br><br>

Heller

<br>

<a href="http://www.hollywoodscriptanalysis.com">HollywoodScriptAnalysis.com</a>

• 2 months later...

Hi

Have a look on Ebay there are Cool light monoblocks for sale . They are daylight balanced lights and put out the same power as a 500w T light. They are priced around $400 but the replacable bulb lasts 1,000s of hours. They also come with a defuser and can be used with umberella and soft box. Cheers Chris. PS I seen them on the Australian Ebay.