Non-booked couple claim they have

bob_peters

I met a couple earlier in the year who said money was tight and they may or may

not hire a photographer for their 2008 wedding, as they had a friend who was

capable. We left the meeting with me giving them a contract, and saying if they

wanted to book they could have 8 weeks rather than the normal 7 days to send me

the deposit as this coincided with the grooms first pay packet from his new job.

They've now emailed me saying they sent the contract back to me straight away

and they are asking me when I want the deposit. My contract states a deposit

must be paid at the time of the booking. More to the point, I have never

received the contract back from them (I send them a copy, signed by me to

confirm the booking when the deposit has cleared, which also obviously hasn't

been done) and as such I am under absolutely no legal obligation at all.

I was aware my packages were changing so didn't follow up with them as it's a

low value wedding compared to my new packages and because they were so non-

commital I never got an impression they would go ahead. So now it becomes a

reputation thing. I'm still free on the day of their wedding so do I say "I

never received the contract, as stated the deposit has to be paid at the same

time however you are welcome to book at my new prices if you like" or, because

the date of their wedding is approaching so fast and they are going to have

problems finding someone else, do I offer to go ahead at my old prices when to

me it is apparent they are pulling a fast one having got last minute cold-feet

about their friend?

This is why a customer doesn't walk with a contract in hand to fill-out later. The only time I do this is when a client is from out of town and wants to book with-out meeting first.

With that said, if the dates open, why not just do it for the original amount? As a compromise, tell them you are willing to shot the wedding at the original price, but they must pay in full immediately. (My biggest concern would be final payment with this couple).

With all that said, does it sound like an honest mistake, or we decided we want a photographer, you're available, and your original prices were good so lets see what we can do?

DO IT! You would honor the price if you had organized properly at the time so why not now?

BUT that said since you are concerned about the whole funding issue make it clear what the payment schedule is and get it in writing that they agree. You hold the images so if they don't pay they don;t get them. Simple

Brooke

Your date is exactly that. OPEN! Granted you probably won't fill the date with another wedding but if one does come along... until they complete the deposit you are still free to conduct business however you wish. Contact them to let them know you require the deposit to secure the date and your time. don't use high pressure tactics as this is a low lifes way of doing shady business.

<p><em>Never, ever, send out a contract already signed by you. It's no different than signing a blank check and handing it over to them.</em></p>

<p>Always good advice, but I didn't get the impression he had. When he mentions sending contracts, I think Bob is talking about only sending back a signed counter copy after he has been paid and the funds have cleared. </p>

This happend to me a few months ago. I spoke with the couple earlier this year for their wedding that was in October. They were both in process of entering the military and were in two different states, so all our correspondence was via email. After going back and forth with them, contact was lost...2 weeks before the wedding, the groom emailed me about the wedding as if he had already booked it..but never did. Luckily I was still open for that date. I told him that I had to have the contract in hand within 5 days in order for me to photograph the wedding. with final payment due that day...needless to say, final payment was not made that day and it took me 3 weeks to get it.

I would say book the wedding with payment up front and with contract in hand within a week.

I think you may have a problem.. they have a contract with you already signed.. they can have a copy of it, and since you signed it.. I think you'd be liable. Of course the Deposit/money thing could be in your favor, but a signed contract is a tough one to prove differently I think.

I don't think that he's sent them a signed contract yet - he would have if they had already sent him the original with the deposit. Anyways, I'd go ahead and tell them that you have not received the contract and that the date is still open. I'd also tell them that since the last time you spoke your prices have changed. This is a business and you need to treat it as such. I don't go into a grocery store and tell them that I forgot to buy milk two months ago when it was $.50 less a gallon and expect them to honor the old price. :) We need to stop feeling sorry for people who have refused to plan properly.

If *and you should maintain one* you have a receipt book, the couple should have a receipt that you made to record payment of their deposit. No receipt, no date booked.

If, the couple is honest, they should have a copy of the contract and a cancelled check to show that the date was booked for your services.

Good luck.