Non Ai on Nikon FE

mjferron

<p>Love my rat Nikon FE and purchased a 35 2 Non ai lens for it as I've read the FE can use these old lenses. When folding back the tab on the lens mount the lens mounts ok but the meter won't respond to aperture changes. What am I doing wrong? </p>

<p>It's been a while since I put a non-AI lens on a FE or FM, but I don't think the aperture will appear in the finder at all regardless of what mode the camera is in. With an AI lens, the aperture display is a reflection of the second (smaller) row of aperture numbers on the lens, but non-AI lenses don't have that second row, so you don't see anything.</p>

<p>Craig is correct. Non-AI lenses will not display the aperture in the viewfinder of any Nikon film camera, as this display is an ADR (aperture direct readout) of the second smaller row of f/stop numbers, which of course are not present on non-AI lenses.</p>

<p>In manual mode, press and hold the DOF lever, select your shutter speed to match the meter reading, then you can release the DOF preview and release the shutter.</p>

<p>In A mode, press and continue to hold the DOF preview lever while releasing the shutter.</p><div>00a9FQ-450655584.jpg.52e21121717d0b9120849528f6804f1b.jpg</div>

<p> or......you can file out a notch for the aperture tab on the rim of the pre-ai lens . This is what I have done to my nikkor 35/2 and 50/1.4 so that I can now use them on my fe and D7000 with camera metering. If you are at all nervous about this procedure , it is best to get it done at a camera repair shop. There are many sites that can show you how on the internet. The 35/2 is a great lens.</p>