non-AI Nikon/Nikkor 135mm/F2.0 lens

roy_ramavarapu1

<p>I looked around in the archives for the subject lens, and find a lot of information on the same lens but apply to the AI, AI-S, and the more recent AutoFocus DC (DeFocus Control) version; there is also a lot more information on the F2.8 and F3.5 versions of this lens. The excellent <em>www.mir.com.my</em> site has a one sentence description, and I quote: "This remarkable Nikkor 135mm f/2.0 telephoto lens was first being introduced in December, 1975 as a Non-Ai Nikkor lens."<br>

Would anybody have more information on this non-AI version, and where would this non-AI version be available for purchase. The associated AI conversion ring for this lens (I purchased one set) is currently available on the big auction site. I looked at most places (most auction sites, KEH, other websites/dealers for this non-AI version, but cannot find any - it is as if this version did not exist. I presume only a few were made in the non-AI version. <br /><br>

There are also excellent reviews of the AI & AI-S and the AutoFocus DC versions. Apart from these reviews, would any user have a more personal opinion as to whether the DC version is better than the AI & AI-S version(s)?? The DC version costs almost twice the AI & AI-S version(s). <br>

(Along the same lines, I came across the Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 135mm F2 manual focus telephoto lens that costs twice as much as the Nikon/Nikkor DC version. Interesting price range for the same lens).<br /><br>

Best regards to everybody, and wishing you all a Happy New Year 2014.<br /><br>

Roy Ramavarapu, 28 Dec 2014<br /><br>

</p>

<p>The non-AI (K version) and AI should be the same optically. </p>

<p>Never have used the manual focus version, but did have the DC. It was a great lens at f2.8-4, when in focus. I have found that the most difficult thing with high speed lenses is to get them in perfect focus, especially with moving photographer and subject.</p>

<p>First Roy, let's clarify that the 135mm AF DC Nikkor is a completely different lens from the 'standard' 135mm f/2 version. DC stands for 'De-focus Control', which allows the spherical aberration characteristics of the lens to be altered; effectively giving the user control over bokeh. This lens design was only introduced in 1990 and has no Ai, Ai-S or pre-Ai equivalent.</p>

<p>The non-DC 135mm f/2 Nikkor is simply a fast medium telephoto. According to <a href="http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html#28">this list </a>there were less than 4,600 non-Ai versions produced between 1975 and 1977, making them fairly rare. The Ai version is almost twice as plentiful, while the Ai-S version introduced in late 1981 has sold in far greater quantities.</p>

<p>Apart from changes in AR coatings over the years, the optical design appears to have remained the same. It's an old school Zeiss-like design, even in it's Ai-S incarnation. Heavy glass (860 gm) and unit-focusing meant that it didn't easily lend itself to AF adaptation, hence its replacement by the AF DC version.</p>

<p>So, Roy, unless you're looking for a pre-Ai example to sit on a shelf as part of a collection, I'd forget about it. The later Ai-S version will be easier to find, more compatible with modern camera bodies and may deliver slightly better IQ than those early examples; due to improved coatings and generally having a better chance of not being cleaned to death or suffering other wear-related problems.</p>

<p>I once have had the AI -which is otically the same as the pre AI- now I own a DC, they are different lenses and the DC is the "better" lens. BUT: The AI was a unique lens when it came to flare, direct sunlight on the large front element at F=2 brought flashes of flare I have never seen before. On other lenses flares are unwished, on this lens they are art.<br>

The DC is AF, sharper, more contrasty and has that DC feature, but am disappointed as it lacks that crazy flaring -which was the main reason I got it.<br>

Beside the flare effect the AI (and the preAI) is quit useless, at F=2 images are soft, bleach and its hard to focus.<br>

For GP all variants of the 180/2,8 are much better. </p>

<p>If you find a non-AI version it may be slightly cheaper, though not much with this lens. I wouldn't worry too much about finding a pre-AI version and grab a good copy of any version if you find one. The 135/2 in any manual focus version is high on my list of lenses to purchase right now.</p>

<p>Rick H.</p>

<p>I bought a new non-AI 135mm f/2 in 1978 and immediately had it AI'd by Nikon ("converted, not modified"). It was a decent lens optically but was lubricated like it was going on a photo safari into Death Valley. It had the stiffest focusing of any lens I've ever used, and it didn't loosen up with use. I don't know if all examples of that lens were like this (the EPOI tech guy said they were), but if you do find a non-AI version, make sure it focuses smoothly.</p>