noisy lens - is this a problem?

alexa_w

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>I have just bought a second hand canon zoom lens 24-105 1:4 L IS USM, when I have the image stabilizer on it makes a loud whirring noise from the time I half depress the shutter to the time I shoot the image. This doesn't happen on my existing fixed focus 100mm lens - can anyone tell me whether this means that there is a problem with the lens?<br>

<br />Thanks!</p>

<p>The IS makes a different amount of noise on different lenses. If you're in a very quiet area, you might hear it. If the ambient noise is a bit higher, you shouldn't notice it. If it's actually loud, not just noticeable, it might be a problem. It's also an older generation of IS than what you have on your 100mm L macro lens.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"...when I have the image stabilizer on it makes a loud whirring noise from the time I half depress the shutter to the time I shoot the image."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If this is true, there is something wrong with your lens. Normally the IS mechanism is only audible in a quiet room and even then qualifies as pianissimo (soft whisper volume). Realize you are holding it next to your head so it appears louder than it actually is. My 24-105 is 5 years old and I have never heard the IS mechanism on the street or field as ambient sounds mask it. Go outside and shoot on a city street or windy field. If you can still hear a "loud whirring noise," it is about to implode (perhaps the prior owner shot thousands of hours of video with IS on). If you can't hear it over the street, it is probably normal.</p>

<p>I have 3 IS equipped lenses: 15-85 IS, 24-105 IS & 70-200 4L IS. The 70-200 is the loudest and the 15-85, the softest. None are audible on the street but the 70-200 sounds like a coffee grinder when held against your head in a quiet room.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p> First off loud is totally subjective. Since everyone hears with their own ears and no one can hear with anyone else's ears and audio acuity varies widely, a flea sneeze might be loud to one person and a jet engine at max thrust might be soft to another. Do not go all nutty at the sound of IS if you don't have experience with it. Yes the stabilizer motors make noise even at idle. If you are concerned you can do two things. The first is to find a shop or a club where a number of people have several IS lenses go there compare and ask for opinions. The second is to realize that if your lens is going to need repair, it will be no more costly after the IS fails completely than while you think that it is about to. Use the lens. If the problem is user inexperience you will get over that. If the problem is the lens you can fix it when it actually does fail and rent a replacement for the few weeks it is in the shop if you need it. The cost difference is negligible the benefit of using the lens is great.<br>

Just one fools opinion.</p>

<p>Many thanks to those who took the trouble to reply to my post. I am still not completely sure whether I should be worried or not, but will take Michael Gregory's advice and use the lens and hope for the best!</p>

<p> </p>