Noisy DSLRs at Reagan funeral

OK, after hearing the loud whirling and clacking sound of digital

SLRs at the Reagan funeral yesterday evening I think it is high

time someone get on with the digital M camera. It's too bad the

better point and shoots don't have better shutter response and

better high ISO noise levels as these cameras work great in

situations (court rooms, funerals, etc.) where noise is frowned

upon. Thoughts?

Not as bad as the 'stadium optimists' who dazzle all those around them in the audience at major nighttime events by using the flash on their P&S cameras in the sure knowledge that their flash is equal in output to a battery of floodlights.

They end up with overexposed/out of focus backs of heads and dim, dark, distant, shaky backgrounds despite being convinced at the time that THEY were taking prize winning action shots! They also end up angering people whose wide open (nighttime adjusted) pupils catch the full close range intensity of the flash!

I've seen Leicas during the testimonies of C. Rise, Ashcroft etc, i haven't seen any cameras at all for Reagan's events.

I took my Leica to a townhall meeting where people were protesting zoning laws... performed flawlessly, the only noticeable sound was below 1/30 shutter speed.

Oh and those 'Pushy Parent' types with the jumbo sized PRO videocams at school plays who are standing on top of other people and elbowing everyone out of the way to run to the stage as soon as little 'Victoria' comes on dressed as a shepherdess or tiger or whatever. Screaming directions at the poor hapless tot like they were some demented hollwood veteran.

Personally, I'd ban ownership of a flashgun unless you had a certificate signed by two psychologists saying that you actually had enough brains to use the bloody things correctly. If there's one thing that gets all photographers a bad name it's morons with flashguns who spoil events for everyone else.

From experience, my camera loudness scale:

<p>

Hassy 2000FC (deafening)

<br>

Contax RTS III (loud)

<br>

Canon D30 (noticeable)

<br>

Leica M (quiet)

<br>

Contax T (detectable)

<br>

Nikon Coolpix 900 (silent)

<p>

The first three are SLRs (moving mirror & focal plane shutter); a DSLR is <i>not</i> inherently quieter than its film cousin. I find an M too noisy for a classical music event, and take the Contax T (leaf shutter, manual advance).

<p>

As noted already, a digi P&S is the most quiet but shutter lag is usually awful. Even worst is sensor noise at 400 ASA: film P&S has a major edge here.

The noise is due to the mirror and shutter. And you want to talk about deafening, grab a hold of my 1d mkII. Sounds like a train.

Its actually kind of cool in a sports environment, but blows chunks when shooting wildlife. The MkII does have a quiet mode, which helps when needed but you lose the 8.5 fps.

Stop clobbering the poor bloke who shoots with a flash in a stadium at some event

happening 100 meters away. He is probably using a P&S with no way to turn the darn

thing off. Not everybody can afford plush Leicas and Summiluxes. That said, those useless

and ubiquitous flashes firing from every direction every tenth of second make for a

fascinating spectacle in a 100,000 seats stadium at the Olympics.

As for stealth shooting in courtrooms and at funerals, I think the Miami-Dade County

could go one better than a Leica M with a Rolleiflex.

The comment by Ellis Verner re. the proximity of the tv microphones to the cameras was most interesting and would explain the noise heard on tv news clips of Bush & Company. However, one is left to wonder why so many photographers are taking pictures of them at every news conference. We already know what they look like. Seems like a waste of film and/or time.