Noisy Autofocus

colt_hagmaier

I just bought a used N8008 as a back up to my F100. I am amazed at

the appearance of the camera. It is really unbelievably clean.

Unfortunately, the autofocus is extremely noisy. It is a screeching

type sound. I bought it online and the noise was not reported

earlier to me. It does it with all of my lenses, both internal and

external focuses. Does anyone know what might be causing this

problem? If so, how much do you think it might cost to fix it? I am

just wondering whether it is worth it. Any information would really

be appreciated.

I have the same problem with a N90s which I bought two months ago used, but in great conditions...

It works great, but the autofocus is noisy, just the screeching sound you mentioned; at the store we tried an other N90s & two N8008, and they had the same problem with all the AF lenses.

I think Bjorn is right. AF needs lubrication...I will send mine for a check up hoping it won't be to expensive.

Best Regards, and good luck!

The N8008 body is getting on in age, it won't quite replace (or match) a F5 or F100 body. (Plus the N8008s (or F801s) was a Nikon replacement for the original design.) Enjoy your new camera, but be prepared for sticker shock if you decide to send it to Nikon USA for a CLA.

I noticed that the F80, F100 and F5 onwards have a "whizz whizz" sound while focusing, while the F4, N90s and earlier have the screeching type sound. Maybe you are used to the F100 and the N8008 sound is very different? It's quite a big diffence, the sound of my F4 (same generation as your N8008) and my friend's D1H.

Aaron

Colt, what you've discovered is probably not a problem, but the 'normal' sound of the N8008 focusing. The N8008 design is now 15 years old, and the motor which turns the AF screw is as you've noticed 'extremely noisy'. Every time I use my 8008 I feel a little self-conscious and don't like to use it in quiet surroundings. The screeching sound, although pretty cool in 1990, is a bit of a nuisance these days. You might want to consider having a shop lubricate the AF motor, if you're concerned that this body is even louder than average; at least the shop can tell you if it sounds okay or not.