Noise reduction program

Marvin

<p>With well exposed images (normally slightly overexposed) shot in RAW I find Lightroom very good to any iso. For underexposed images I find DxO Optics Pro 7 more effective for noise reduction, but I don't like the interface or file handling of the program so only use it for problem images.</p>

<p>They say "noise ninja" you have to pay for it, therefore I think it might be true. But I use wavelet denoise or GMIC... on GIMP and that's just because Viewnx can't do it. Don't know about the rest, I've stopped using Photoshop and it's companions since college .</p>

<p>Lightroom 4, and Topaz Denoise 5- the latter is a plug-in that owrks through Photoshop or Lightroom interfaces. Denoise is nice because it has presets for Jpeg and RAW files, and uses several individual sliders for color and highlight/shadows. It also has grain and de-blur settings along with luminance options for working a file.</p>

<p>"Back in the day" I used some of the third-pary noise reduction programs. I tried several and ended up purchasing Noise Ninja. However, the noise reduction capabilities of the newer versions of the usual post-processing applications have plenty of power to handle this without buying third-party products, and I have not had to use Noise Ninja in several years now.</p>

<p>Frankly, the need for the third-party stuff is very, very limited. Before you go there, exhaust the capability of the program you already have and make sure you understand the techniques you can apply there.</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>I also like the NR in LR4. However, if I'm working on something special I like both selective sharpening as well as selective NR. Rarely do I want NR for the complete image. I've been using the NIK software package that works well as a plug in for LR4 and CS5/6. You can get the NR separate (Define 2.0).<br>

There are many ways to accomplish NR in both LR4 and CS5 without any third party plug in... I've used them and they work. <br>

For my purposes when factoring in my time vs money for gadgets the plug-in wins....<br>

When I started shooting with the 5DMK II my desire for NR went way down.... I'm sure the 5DMIII will even further reduce my desire for NR. :)<br>

Richard</p>

<p>Hello Marvin,<br>

I rely entirely on LR4. It's noise reduction and sharpening algorithms are so good I haven't felt the need for a third-party or plug-in. Something that hasn't been mentioned so far is that LR4's adjustment brush has sharpening, noise reduction, and moire reduction sliders. That means you can work locally to sharpen/denoise/remove moire in one or more specific areas within the photo. Below is a screen capture from LR4 adjustment brush panel.</p><div>00aKJz-461667884.JPG.b2458d4524b6d1b0c8a21c6637471e27.JPG</div>

<p>What software are you using to process your photos?</p>

<p>Do you shoot RAW or JPEG?</p>

<p>Are you wanting to perform noise reduction on a few photos or run many in batch?</p>

<p>I use Noiseware from Imagenomic. I like how easy it is to get very good results with minimal effort using actions I've recorded.</p>

<p>Eric</p>

<p>I use Topaz Denoise 5 plugin in PS. For global application you can tune it for shadows, mids, certain colors, etc. No so important for my 5D2 files but RAW files from my 50D really need that extra step, even at ISO 400 and 800. I recall 50D twilight landscape skies suffered from banding so bad I had to apply heavy NR selectively, e.g., PS layer with masked sky. The "free" NR in DPP is actually very good and I can only beat it in DeNoise due to the extra tweaks available. Its main drawback is you have to use DPP.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>It seems that if you apply noise reduction in a general-purpose image editor like the GIMP (or even Photoshop) then you are missing something, because the image is first converted from RAW and only afterwards noise is reduced. I would imagine that applying noise reduction at the RAW conversion stage would often give better results, particularly if the noise reduction program knows about the particular characteristics of your camera's sensor. Which noise reduction programs work like this?</p>