Noise/grain reduction software for scanned images

<p>Does anyone have a preferred noise/grain reduction software for B&W negatives (scanned on a Nikon Coolscan)? Do these stand-alone NR/GR programs (like Noise Ninja) work better than NR in ACR, and are some better suited for scanned B&W film grain as opposed to digital image noise? </p>

<p>I am a long time NeatImage user. It does a very good job at noise suppression. I also appreciate the ease of workflow. </p>

<p>For what it's worth, I scan with a Nikon 5000 and Nikon 9000. I shoot mostly TMY, Acros, and some Tri-X occasionally. I use Xtol 1:1 for development universally.</p>

<p>Having said the above, however, I don't personally find noise suppression of film originated B&W all that compelling. When the enlargement to print is small, there's really no grain to speak of in the first place. When the enlargement is high enough to notice grain, the noise is pleasingly expected - it's part and parcel of the vernacular.</p>

<p>I agree, Robert. The scanned 35mm images I've printed at larger sizes tend to look plasticky when (over)-processed with the NR options in Lightroom. They just don't look convincing. As a long-time traditional B&W printer, I'd rather see the grain at the larger print sizes than lose the original look and quality of the image. I was just wondering if any of the other NR/GR products out there produced a more natural or believable look. </p>

<p>I have noise ninja and I find it works much better than acr with everything it touches. Said that, I don't use it much on BW film (cheap c41 yes).</p>

<p>If I am having issues with grain I would rather change film/developer/process. That would be the preferred solution. But I develop myself. If you are sending out and have no choice, send somewhere else that will give you a choice.</p>

<p>I have used Neat Image for several years, primarily for scans of black and white negatives (with different scanners, including a Coolscan V and a Coolscan 8000). Like others, I have found that scanning often enhances the graniness of black and white negatives, and I have usually been able to reduce that effect using Neat Image. One has to be careful not to overdo it, or it can definitely lead to a plasticky look. But, I have usually been pretty happy with the result.<br>

Of late, I have had to rely less on Neat Image, as I have been developing my negatives with a staining developer, Pyrocat HD. So far, this has been the best solution for me, but obviously it doesn't help with old negatives.<br>

I've not really tried other noise-reduction tools, but my sense from reading reviews is that Neat Image works about as well as any.<br>

Hope this helps,<br>

David</p>