Noctilux 50/1 lens

may2

Hi there!

Can anyone please advice if I should buy a Noctilux 50/1 lens special limited edition at a high price? It is not available anymore

and was told by a reputable shop that Leica informed that it is to be obsolete, rumours said that a 50/0.95 is coming out to market next

year. I think this lens is superb and great for my street photography. Thank you all!

MYMY

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ulrik,

Thank you for you info, so would you advice I should wait, and would you have any idea when it will be released? And is

there a tremendous change except in the f/stop.

I have just bought the M8 with the 35/1:2 summicron lens and have fallen in love with the superb quality of sharpness and

crisp work it produced. Please continue advice. At moment I uses the Canon 40D and 5D with multiple lenses, until I got

hold of this for my nature of work. Thank you

If you're buying as a collectible for investment, we can't read the tea leaves any better than anyone else. Depends on how the economy treats the very rich over the next few years. However, a mint 50/1.2 Noctilux (very rare) is probably a better investment, it wasn't an "intentional" collectors' edition. For that matter, Swiss Francs might be a better investment. (I tripled my Dollars on some over the last 15 years.)

If you're buying to to use, it would make sense to wait for reactions to the 50/0.95, which is probably a better lens. Of course, that all depends on what results you want out of using it. If you like strong vignetting, and dizzying swirly bokeh, you may love the 50/1.0.

I agree, for the following reasons:

1. Insurance to take it outside of your home (for actual use) would be very high.

2. You are probably stuck with f/0.95 (what is the point of stopping down such a special lens?)

3. You are restricted for limited lighting situations. Bright sunlight means ND filters.

4. You can not change the lenses easily for fear of scartches and putting a dent in the resale values.

5. As John, says, Swiss Francs are better. :)

Hey guys,

I do agree this particular lens is way not ideal for street photography, I got what you meant. I meant overall

this M8 with my present 35/1.2 is the one. What I want is to enjoy taking images with a different feel, as I don't enjoy

tweaking and spend ages at the computer. This Noctilux 50/1 is it not good enough? Advice please!

Dear Friends

I am only a new owner of a Leica M8, would anyone of you need or want to use this Noctilux in their photography? At least

tell me, why yes or no! I really did consider what Vivek said about insurance to take it outside of home is high..tell me

something else. Whatabout the Canon 50/0.89 (if I have not mistaken)? Advice

Dear Friends

Overall I think I got the message. At the end of the day let the choice be mine. I fully understand everyone's advices, I

still wish I can own this lens for personal reasons. Unfortunately it's not available. Thank you all for you time!

Brad is right, unless you are gymnastically inclined, trying to get spot on focus with this lens is very demanding in (often)

fast moving street photography. For what it's worth, if you want more light on the sensor, why not a 50mm Nokton f1.5 aspheric, or one of

VCs 35 or 40mm f1.4 lenses? Although I am a fairly meek street-shooter (without a bodyguard friend for potential support), I would rather

have good depth of field from a much shorter lens (50mm is 67mm effective on the M8) and shoot a bit closer with better depth of field.

Noctilux. If you want to "focus easily" just stop the lens down! How about to f2 so its like a Summicron? Just 'cos

one has an 0,95 lens doesn't mean you always have to shoot at full aperture. Surely the whole point of the Noctilux

is that the wide aperture is there should you want it?

Robin Smith

May, if you're a new user to an M8, you'd be better served with a Summicron 28. It'd be fast, and would give you a field

of view similar to that of a 35mm in a film context. A Noctilux is a very especialized lens, useful for very low light

(available darkness situations). More often than not, any slight deviation in the camera rangefinder may throw the

focusing out of whack (which wouldn't happen with other lenses, however fast, just because of the Noctilux's VERY

shallow depth of field). Hence, it won't improve your street shots. Experience, observation and care will. Look at other

people's photographs, learn to "find" a situation and your shots will improve. A Noctilux... is very expensive and not

guaranteed. Otherwise, all of us here would have mortgaged our homes or postponed buying a car or a computer to get

a Noctilux of any type.

Good luck with your camera!

Hi Francisco, it is so nice to hear from a gentleman who treats me like a lady and a new user to an M8. You are so kind

and clear in you words. I greatly appreciate that you are talking to me like my lecturer in photography, very patient and

encouraging in order that I get it right. You are spot on it is only a fancy lens there are other alternatives. Yes, very pricey.

Thank you

Hi May - I'll join the chorus, having owned both a Noctilux and a Canon 50\0.95. Both lenses were good for well planned low light shots with a "romantic"look to them wide open. Closed down they were just like a Summicron IMHO. Due to the razor sharp DOF, they are indeed critical to focus wide open, and IMHO not at all suited to most street shooting. Most of the bokeh effects can be better achieved with PS or other real darkroom techniques. I fell in love with both lenses but after a couple of years with each, discovered that for most of my work there were better, lighter and less expensive options, and sold both and have never regretted it.

That depends on what you want to use it for, May. Say if you are into portraits, there are indeed many other choices to choose from; but for street photog, I would mostly stick with the Cron and that'd be it; but then there is one thing for sure - you would never regret buying a Noc for both as an investment or to use it daily (just my very personal opinion) 'cuz it is indeed the BEST Leica 50mm lens out there.