"No Words" forum threads not completely showing all images.

Tim_Lookingbill

<p>Seems OK to me right now. Slow down can be due to server load at the photo.net end, database problems at the photo.net end or bandwidth problems anywhere between the photo.net servers and the viewer's computer.</p>

<p>Sometimes patience is required...the faster the internet gets, the more you notice slowdowns. </p>

<p>Very slow for me right now: one or two pictures show, the rest were blank. I lost patience, backed out, and found this thread. ;)</p>

<p>Each revisit to a No Words threads seams to improve things: 2 or 3 visits and everything is loaded. Seems like a few images load then it stalls, each time.</p>

<p>It has been a bit glitchy. I ran into it myself last night.</p>

<p>The reason why it seems to speed up after a couple of visits is that your browser is probably caching the images, so the ones you've been able to download will be displayed from your cache rather than having to be downloaded from the photo.net server again.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The reason why it seems to speed up after a couple of visits is that your browser is probably caching the images, so the ones you've been able to download will be displayed from your cache rather than having to be downloaded from the photo.net server again.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Other experiences I've had navigating PN's functionality seems to indicate caching issue.</p>

<p>In fact it was surmised by Glenn Palm, the PN General Manager, the reason my two Halloween Contest entries uploaded to my gallery weren't showing up in the PN Home page Sampler R>L Scroller and "See All Sample Images" was due to caching issues. It eventually got fixed but don't know what did the trick, though.</p>

<p>Just now I tried to view a folder of images from Ander's and Mendel's gallery and it was a long wait whether 6 or 25 files were in the folder.</p>

<p>It's been around a year since the last download slowdowns occurred in "No Words". I rarely see this happening on this site and it usually garners a post to this forum. Something got done and it was fixed and it was smooth sailing from then on.</p>

<p>Wonder if it's a seasonal thing or old log files and other clutter building up on the PN servers.</p>

Well, that answers my question. I was wondering if other people were experiencing the same thing. I spend a lot of time viewing and commenting on other member's pictures but the loading time has become so long that the frustration isn't worth it. Is this a fixable problem or something we're just going to have to put up with?

<p>Slightly later.</p>

<p>I looked at some of the "slow loading" images and they mostly seem to be the results of posting via a link to other sites, rather than actually posting the picture on the Photo.net server.<br>

Some are very large or in strange (to P.net, that is) formats on the sites where they are posted.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The images always come up for me, <strong><em>eventually</em></strong>, that is. This is still happening to me within the last hour.<br /> I confess so slowly at times that I give up before it happens. :(</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Just a heads up but I found the No Words images will load faster if not holding down on the mouse using the browser scroll bar.</p>

<p>I switched to hitting the Page Down key on my keyboard which increased the speed when the preview appears. This might just be an issue with my using Safari and Mac OS driven video interface. Not sure, but the images will not immediately pop on screen but slightly fade onto the white browser page as if there's some type of animation going on, but the keyboard navigation does seem to make things quicker scrolling down the page.</p>

<p>I haven't noticed any change in the speed.</p>

<p>I have had Verizon Fios for ages, and installed a 802.11ac network in the house last month, but the biggest speed improvement I noticed on all websites was when I installed the plugins A_d_B_l_o_c_k and F_l_a_s_h_B_l_o_c_k for Firefox several months ago. ;-)</p>

<p>re Glenn's comment, I wonder if "content distribution" has anything to do with advertising.</p>

<p>Tom M</p>