"No Words"........again?

keith_laban

Sorry if this has been covered before, hence the "again?".

I have just seen several threads in the Large Format Forum in the "No

Words" format. Whilst I realise that this is not a new concept, I

never the less feel it to be exciting and to have great potential. I

am sure there are many photographers such as myself, who have their

own websites, are not interested in joining the "ratings game" and in

receiving critiques, who therefore rarely post their images to

photo.net. The "No Words" format would certainly encourage me to

upload images to photo.net.

I have a faint recollection of a previous discussion in which the "No

Words" format was discouraged for reasons my faint recollection won't

allow me to recall.

What do other contributors think? What do the powers that be think?

TIA......Keith

Todd Frederick has become the "Johnny Appleseed" of the "No Words" posts. He started them in the Leica forum, where they are generally accepted. I guess he's now moved his attention to the Large Format forum where there appears to be a difference of opinion whether they belong there or not. I've no idea how they will be accepted if he starts posting them to the Medium Format forum.

Basically it's up to the forum moderators whether or not to allow such posts. I don't accept them in the Nature forum or EOS forum and they are not appropriate for the archived or non-archived general forums either. They certainly aren't appropriate for THIS forum.

We do have a gallery section where anyone could post these things and invite "no words" comments. In my opinion that's where they belong. We don't generally allow classified ads in the forums either. That's why we have a classifieds section of photo.net.

You don't have to buy a Leica. It's not required.

I prefer the nature forum to be informational. Before there ever was a photo.net galley section I created a LUSENET forum on greenspun.com for nature image critiques so we didn't get them in the forum. It's a matter of my personal choice of direction for the forum.

There's nothing stopping you posting an image in the gallery section of photo.net and them asking that all "comments" should be in the form of images. There's also nothing stopping you posting a "no words" thread in the LUSENET nature image critique forum.

If there's enough demand for no words threads, we should make a forum for them, not sprinkle them into discussion forums. Again a personal view.

"If there's enough demand for no words threads, we should make a forum for them"

I would also like to see a No Words forum. I thoroughly enjoy the No Words threads and think they're a great concept. They do rather break up the informational part of discussions, though, so a home of their own would be ideal. It would also remove the forum constraints, such as People, Leica or Large Format. An added benefit would be that those who don't like 'em wouldn't have to see 'em.

It's not my call to make a new forum. I'm just saying it's a possibility. What I should have said is that if there is s strong demand, then photo.net should probably consider meeting that demand in some form.

If a forum or other venue was created, would the Leica and Large Format forums then reject "No words" posts, or would it be just one more place to make such posts. If that's the case I'm not sure it's such a good idea.

These are my PERSONAL opinions and in no way reflect the views of photo.net