a Domke bag containing camera, lenses and an Arca-Swiss head for the

tripod. I've been putting the tripod head in my camera bag in case

someone in security thinks the tripod looks more like a weapon if

the head is attached.

I have had no problems whatsoever during these flights, which have

involved going through security in Canada, the US, the UK, France

and Ireland. The sole issue was in France, where the security guy

diplomatically suggested that next time I put my can of compressed

air in my baggage rather than in my Domke bag.

At the same time, I've seen signs, especially in Europe, that have a

long list of banned objects, including bats, pool cues, tools that

could be used to injure, etc.

The Gitzo 1325 may be light, but the head is large and could indeed

be used to hurt someone. In fact, I'm pretty sure that you could

kill someone with this tripod.

Yet no problems whatsoever. I'm certainly not complaining, but I'd

be curious to know what the experience is of others.

<p>Thanks for the information, Rory. This is indeed interesting, <em>and</em> surprising. I've always taken it as a given that tripods would not be allowed in the cabin of a plane.</p>

<p>With regards to the other repsponses: in security related discussions I would appreciate it if the snide comments be left out... They have no place in this forum, and will be deleted.</p>

This is good news - but I'm still afraid to try it. The problem is inconsistency (very annoying but presumably a deliberate part of the security checks). Sooner or later I think your luck would run out and you'd be required to check the tripod bare or miss the flight.<P>

On the other hand instances of delayed baggage have become far more common since 9/11 (at least in my personal experience). Twice recently I've ended up tripodless for a day or two because of late baggage - which certainly increases the incentive to try to carry on everything!<p>Karl Lehmann <a href="http://www.lostworldarts.com/new_page_3.htm">Lost World

Arts</a>

<p>Check out the <a href="http://www.tsa.gov/public/">TSA's web site</a> and should find out that tripods are allowed. I carry mine (Bogen 3021 w/ Arca swiss B-1)through all the time. I cannot begin to count the number of airports throughout the US and a few other countries and have had no problem.</p>

<p>As an airline employee and avid photographer I encounter the TSA at least a couple of times a day. Stand up for what you know is right.</p>

I recently flew from Louisiana to Idaho and back. I had no trouble at all carrying on my gitzo 1325 and ball head (unattached). It was only at the Boise airport that security personnel had me remove the ball head after it showed up as a mass of metal on the x-ray. After I pulled it out and explained what it was, they "no problem," and I was on my way.

You mentioned carrying compressed air, I believe that is a banned item due to safety concerns. I had a can of spray starch pulled from my luggage by American Airlines and they have signs saying compressed gas is prohibited. I have always checked my tripod, there comes carry point for me when I get tired of carrying things and have had no problems, but my bags seem to always get extra x-ray time.

md

Bradrick,

Thanks for the reference to the US transport security site. As in the case of similar sites in the UK and Canada, there is no specific mention of tripods. But my recent experience suggests that security people clearly think that they are allowable. Perhaps a tripod comes under the rubrik "camera equipment", or is seen as akin to a walking stick or umbrella. Anyway, I'm grateful that a tripod is not seen as aking to a tennis raquet, lacross stick, pool cue, etc., all of which are prohibited.