No more Ektachrome cartridgss

I feel like Rip Van Winkle. I went to Kodak's website today looking for info on available Ektachrome and found

its now listed as 400' bulk rolls (35mm) only. Elite Chrome is also gone although I was expecting that. I am

going to have to padlock my freezer, I think there are a few rolls left in there.

<p>Often the Kodak website is hard to navigate, and when I've tried to find things there, a little less than forthcoming.</p>

<p>I do note that a number of vendors (such as B&H) still show Ektachrome Professional and Elite in individual 36-exposure cans and "in stock".</p>

<p>As you can see at the page Brian linked, the only remaining Ektachrome options are E100G and E100VS. There is <em>no</em> consumer slide film market left, so the consumer versions (Elite Chrome) have been discontinued.<br>

Keep in touch with your E-6 lab, be sure you can get it processed if you buy more.</p>

• 1 month later...

<i>"As you can see at the page Brian linked, the only remaining Ektachrome options are E100G and E100VS."</i><br>

<br>

Alas, <a href="http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journal-of-photography/news/2156493/kodak-discontinues-colour-reversal-films">not any more</a>. Or not for much longer, anyway:<br>

<br>

<i>"In a notice sent to retailers and distributors around the world, and seen by BJP, Kodak has announced that "due to a steady decrease in sales and customer usage, combined with highly complex product formulation and manufacturing processes, Kodak is discontinuing three Ektachrome (color reversal) films."<br>

<br>

The films are the Kodak Professional Ektachrome E100G, Kodak Professional Ektachrome E100VS Film and Kodak Professional Elite Chrome Extra Color 100.<br>

<br>

"We estimate that, based on current sales pace, supplies of these films are expected to be available in the market for the next six to nine months; however, inventories may run out before then, depending on demand," says Kodak."</i>

• 3 weeks later...

<i>"Isn't that all the Kodak slide film currently on the market?"</i><br>

<br>

Sadly yes. In brief, Kodak no longer makes slide film. Unless there's an obscure line they only sell to special customers, e.g. some kind of lithographic slide film, or something equally arcane. It's odd that the discontinuation of Kodachrome got quite a bit of press attention, but the end of the rest of Kodak's slide films seems to have passed the world with nary a whisper. I guess Ektachrome never had Paul Simon and the Afghan Girl.<br>

<br>

Were there any famous photographs taken with Ektachrome? Probably thousands of advertising images, vivid landscape shots in National Geographic etc, but what about <i>famous</i> photographs, on a par with the burning monk or the migrant mother or the policeman blowing the brains out of the guerilla etc, or Marilyn Monroe in the nude. Photographs that people might point at and say "<i>this</i> was Ektachrome". Or was it too neutral for that?