No Manual Control of Speedlight With Photix Odin?

bellwoods

<p>Hello<br>

I just purchased an Phottix Odin/2 receiver kit today for my Canon 5D2 MkII. The system works as expected with the speedlights working in ETTL mode.<br>

HOWEVER: I have thus far been unable to control the output of the Speedlights from the Odin TCU control unit. For example if I set all three groups to "M" (manual) mode and then try to vary the power level with the +/- buttons on the TCU the light output of the Speedlights doesn't change at all.<br>

This situation is surprising (alarming) given that the following description of the Odin functionality appears on the company's website: <br>

What makes the Phottix Odin™ unique is the ability to designate groups in TTL/Mixed mode. Individual groups, A, B, C, can also be controlled in TTL mode with EV +/- adjustments. Groups can also be set to Manual mode, adjusting power levels remotely, or turned off. <br /><a href="http://www.phottix.com/en/phottix-odin-ttl.html">http://www.phottix.com/en/phottix-odin-ttl.html</a><br>

As far as I can see there is no way to manually set the speedlight output remotely through the Odin TCU.</p>

<p>I use the Odin with nikon camera and flashes, and you certainly can make it do what you want. Phottix specifies compatibility with only Nikon iTTL speedlights (only Canon's equivalent in your case), not other brands of speedlights. Could that be the problem? Also, the speedlights have to be set to auto-zoom, if you want to control zoom from the Odin transmitter. Good luck!</p>

<p>My apologies to all and esp to Phottix. I have now found that the Odin does in fact provide manual control of the 580EXII and 430EXII Speedlights.<br>

The Odin product is a good lower cost alternative to Canon's own radio control system.<br>

The only drwaback I can see is that while the Odin system will control three groups of flashes (A, B & C), it will only provide ETTL ratio control between two of those groups (A+B). However you can set ratios for all three groups by changing to manual (vs TTL mode) and setting the output of each group individually. </p>