No left handed cameras? Non serious topic.

Discussion in 'Casual Photo Conversations' started by sigmaalex920, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Why aren't there any left handed cameras?
    Lefties matter.

2. Tony Parsons

Tony Parsons Norfolk and Good

3. Back in the pre-autofocus days I think the more critical function was focusing rather than pushing a button and winding a lever, so in that respect all cameras were lefthanded. BTW, I'm lefthanded and can't imagine the functions being reversed.

sigmaalex920 likes this.
  4. Left handed people are highly intelligent and have usually adapted to a right handed world by the first grade.

sigmaalex920 likes this.
  5. Think how Jimi Hendrix felt?

Even zipper flies on pants are made for easier access by righties, as getting past the flap can only be done from the right. Makes it especially difficult for lefty guys to sext! :cool:

sigmaalex920 likes this.
  6. I heard Hendrix had a few left-handed guitars. He said he didn't feel right playing them.

7. It's all about the Benjamins. If 90% of the world is a rightie, where does one think production of anything will go ? Only England and a few other right hand drive countries keep the Lefties happy.

8. Tony Parsons

When I was at school, kids who were left-handed were physically punished for being 'wrong' - some of the teachers actually referred to them as Devil children.

9. What years Tony?

Tony Parsons likes this.
  10. Given the current state of (non)rational thought throughout too much of the U.S., I wouldn’t be surprised if it was yesterday! :(

Jon Eckman, Tony Parsons and Sanford like this.
  11. I'm left-handed and have no problem operating any camera. I suppose that makes my cameras left-handed too.

12. I'm of the opinion that cameras, certainly in the pre-autofocus era, were two-handed tools. Most 35mm format cameras place the shutter dial and release on the right because they copied the mechanics of the Leica, focus and aperture on the left and you really need to hold it with both hands.

The Exakta developed more or less at the same time as the Leica, so they solved things their own way.

Zeiss tried to make the Contax shootable with one (right) hand, but I always felt that Contax ergonomics were a case of 'the user must conform to the (perfect) machine'.

You still need both hands for a steady shot. It's only since autofocus that the left hand has been relegated to a supporting role.

13. Tony Parsons

1956-62 - Grammar School was far more accomodating to individual quirks, but my Junior School was attached to a church, which may have coloured their attitude somewhat.

Sanford likes this.
  14. Tony Parsons

Sorry, Sam - UK born and bred (see above).

15. Tony Parsons

I have been described as 'ambi-sinister' - clumsy with both hands !

16. I think being left-eyed like me is as much of an issue as being left handed.

robert_bowring and Sanford like this.
  17. That’s nothing, I am left footed. Imagine how much difficulty I have operating a camera.

18. Try wearing your pants back to front :)

19. AJG

AJG

I am left eyed and right handed, and that has definitely influenced my choice of cameras over the years. When I bought my first serious camera in the late 1970's, I didn't buy a Nikon because the ones that I tried used the winding lever as the meter switch and that poked my right eye.

robert_bowring likes this.