No-flash ceremony?

missy_kay

<p>What do you do when the church won't allow flash? Do you bring in lowel lights? Would I look foolish bringing a sunpak? Do lowel lights require quantum battery packs? I have a 50mm 1.4 which I'll definitely have to use, but are there any other pieces of advice? Thanks :)</p>

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I doubt churches will allow you to set up extra lighting. Even if they did, it would detract from the ceremony and you would be hard pressed to get everything set up unless you had a couple of assistants. Lowel lights don't work on Quantum battery packs, but on video light batteries.</p>

<p>Better to up ISO, use fast lenses (rent if you don't have them), and a tripod (depending), coupled with knowing where to be when (go to the rehearsal), and when to shoot. Do some searches. Many past discussions.</p>

<p> I am in the same boat. I met with my clients and went over everything. Once we signed the contract they came back stating the following...<br>

1. no flash or lighting setups in the church<br>

2. shooting from balcony only<br>

3. no kissing is allowed in the church<br>

I am going to do the best I can and I can't do anything more than that.</p>

<p>f the church won't allow a flash, then they likely won't allow any additional lighting that may interfere. Of course, "interfere" can only be defined by the person performing the ceremony.</p>

<p>Start with the officiant and ask. Offer to bring the lights to the rehearsal to show him/her where they will be and how they will look. The fact that you ask and offer to show them first may help.</p>

<p>However, be prepared to get an across-the-board "no". Then, shoot at a higher ISO (make sure you know how high your camera can shoot without introducing a lot of noice) and use fast glass.</p>

<p>Carey--the 'no kissing' is unusual, but the rest isn't. If by 'your best' you mean getting long, fast lenses and a tripod, that is good. If you mean not making any extra effort beyond what you already have and do, that's bad.</p>

<p>There is always re-creating. It doesn't look as bad as everyone thinks it will. The emotion is still there.</p>

<p>For starters, you need to get <em>exact</em> details from the church or the clergy. Usually "no flash" refers to <em>during</em> the actual ceremony and NOT to the processional or recessional. You should find out where you can stand and where you can't and also if you can move around.<br>

I was a guest at a wedding one time and the photographer decided to be smarter than the clergy and didn't ask about restrictions. When the ceremony started, the clergy announced that the photographer remove himself and his equipment so that the ceremony could begin. I'm sure the photographer wanted to crawl out of his skin.<br>

I would assume that if they don't want flash, they don't what you bringing in any added light. Use a higher ISO setting on your camera, your fastest lens and do the best you can under the circumstances. You should have something in your contract about "uncontrolable circumstances" like this and you should inform your bride and groom BEFORE the wedding. If you wait until afterwards, it'll sound like an excuse.<br>

These are the kinds of things you learn (or don't learn) through experience. When I started, there were no forums like this. Kudos to you for researching....-Aimee</p>

<p>Kay, depending on what restrictions there are to your movements during the ceremony itself, the 50mm may not be enough. I would recommend that you rent a fast lens (70-200 f/2.8) as well. However, rent it a week before the ceremony and play with it. A lot. Learn its characteristics and quirks.</p>

<p>Big mistake a lot of people make is to rent new gear the day of an event.</p>

<p> I am using 2 tripods, 2 cameras with remotes, one 55-200 lens and another 70-300 lens. Setting to a very high ISO. No re-enactments are allowed. They will also be seated due to the fact that the bride is in a wheel chair. I have met with the clergy and have gone over all the details time and again. This church has extremely strict rules. We will be allowed to take portraits outside the church in a designated location.</p>

<p>Go wide aperture telephoto prime. 85mm/1.2, high ISO. You probably won't be allowed to get close, so maybe even 135/2 or 200/2.8 to maximize sharpness and minimize chromatic aberration, because you will inevitably get noise. Zooms are convenient but this is a situation where careful planning is going to pay off far more than the flexibility of a zoom. Try to get permission to preview the venue, walk around with a zoom, spot places you will be allowed to shoot from, and estimate the focal length(s) and exposure you will need. Then make your prime lens selections based on your preview.</p>

<p>The more restrictions you have in how you are allowed to shoot, the more you have to compensate in other respects. Can't control lighting? Determine how you are constrained in ISO, speed, and aperture. Can't control noise? Control for sharpness, contrast, and color.</p>

<p>Carey, I'd suggest you rent a 300mm f2.8, or 200mm f2.8. Don't know if you have a cropped sensor camera, but your lenses are slow for this kind of work. If you do have a cropped sensor camera, consider the faster primes--135mm f2 (Canon), 85mm f1.8 or 1.2. If you have a full frame camera, remember you can crop more readily.</p>

<p>I have only run across one church that didn't allow re-creations in all my weddings. That is unreasonable, IMHO, if one has many restrictions during the ceremony. You might try bargaining, although you said you'd gone over things several times. Re-creations need not take much time at all, but you have to be organized and know exactly what shots you want.</p>

<p ><em><strong>"What do you do when the church won't allow flash?"</strong></em></p>

<p ><em><strong> </strong></em></p>

<p > <strong><em></em></strong></p>

<p ><em >. Meet with the Rule Maker / The Boss, (not an intermediary) and negotiate - <em><strong>especially confirm the ability to roam, even if limited</strong></em> (i.e. do NOT begin to negotiate for Flash if NO FLASH is indeed the rule), and then define the rules - all of them.</em></p>

<p > </p>

<p >This first part <em><strong>is crucial, IMO</strong></em>. In my experience it is most often overlooked or simply dismissed as time wasting and a dinosaur idea. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >. Once the real rules are established, reconnoitre to determine the best possible vantage point(s) for lighting and view of faces and the likely EV</p>

<p > </p>

<p >. Use Prime lenses</p>

<p > </p>

<p >. Use a monopod and tripod, if necessary</p>

<p > </p>

<p >. Use a remote camera for the Rear of Church or Balcony view or use a second as necessary, if one’s movement is limited. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >. Do a re-enactment of the key elements of the Ceremony (ensure the Celebrant does not vanish quickly)</p>

<p > </p>

<p >. Ensure the Clients know the rules and the impacts of them</p>

<p > </p>

<p >WW</p>

<p>BTW, a great trick to keep clergy from disappearing is to offer to shoot a portrait of them at the altar while they are still wearing their vestments. Do the re-created shots first, then give the B/G 2 minutes of breathing time while you shoot the priest/minister/rabbi/imam/etc.</p>

<p>One of the reasons for new and stricter rules is that, quite frankly, wedding photographers have given ourselves a very bad reputation. So, I go to the rehearsal (it's a non-negotiable part of my package, but I don't charge for it) to meet the officiant. I ask them what their rules are, let them know I'd be happy to do a formal portrait of them, and take notes when they tell you the rules.</p>

<p>The simple act of writing it down gives the impression that you take them seriously; this is a huge thing for breaking down barriers.</p>

<p ><em>no photography lighting during ceremony is normal . . . </em>No, it is not "normal" if that comment means universally commonplace. But it is very common in some areas and also more prevalent amongst some specific denominations . . . but it is not universally "normal."</p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p >For example it is quite "not normal" for me; nor for my general area; nor for the vast majority of Denominations / Churches in my area: but I should always be suitably equipped, to manage it, as should we all.</p>

<p > <br>

WW</p>

<p>My experience has run the gamut from no photography, I could shoot from right behind the last row of people*, I could shoot freely except during communion, right up to having full run of the place and use flash.</p>

<p>William is right, it varies greatly from area to area, denomination to denomination, culture to culture...</p>

<p>Your contract should state that you are limited to the rules imposed on you by the officiant. However, once that's established, you need to figure out how to get those amazing images that the B/G are expecting while working within those limits.</p>

<p>Oh, and to make a further note to what William said: Between the rehearsal and the ceremony two days later, the officiant changed and I had new rules imposed on me the day of the wedding. Just have to shrug it off and work with it. :-)</p>

<p ><em>"One of the reasons for new and stricter rules is that, quite frankly, wedding photographers have given ourselves a very bad reputation. So, I go to the rehearsal (it's a non-negotiable part of my package, but I don't charge for it) to meet the officiant. I ask them what their rules are, let them know I'd be happy </em><strong><em>to do a formal portrait of them</em></strong><em>, and </em><strong><em>take notes</em></strong><em> when they tell you the rules. The simple act of writing it down gives the impression that you take them seriously; this is a huge thing for breaking down barriers."</em></p>

<p > </p>

<p >We are of one mind. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >A Portrait and Written Confirmation - I trust the OP and others understand the leverage and trust those two gems create. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >Not only leverage for that one engagement, but I’d bet London to a Brick, your Face and your Name is remembered, too.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >WW </p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p>"the officiant changed and I had new rules imposed on me the day of the wedding. Just have to shrug it off and work with it. :-)"</p>

<p>ArHHHHHHHHHH - </p>

<p>well experience and thinking quick on your feet kicked in, I am sure . . .<br>

and that's why we are paid the big bucks :)<br>

Cheers.<br>

WW</p>

<p>During the first interview with a bridal couple I find it helpful to the couple to let them know I'm bound by the rules of the ceremony venue/location and ask if they know thier venue and what photography rules will be applied to thier wedding day photography.</p>

<p>Usually I get a blank face.</p>

<p>When that happens I let them know what to expect if I have a free hand to roam and I let them know what to expect when I'm told to shoot from across the street and without flash. I then suggest that they, the couple, are not powerless and suggest they find out what their venue has for ceremony photography rules. The above all assumes that the couple places value on photography at the ceremony. </p>

<p>If the couple is Informed then I'm perfectly ok with whatever the rules are but I don't ever want to show up at a wedding and have to tell the surprised bride and groom that I'm only allowed to shoot from a restricted area in the back. Let the couple make a call and find out: an informed bridal couple is a great thing! I also suggest that the most powerful persons to lobby for lesser restrictions is the bridal couple and <strong>not the photographer</strong> on rehearsal night or just before the ceremony. I try to empower the couple to lobby for the photography they envisioned. This seems to work very well for all parties involved in the process. Once I know the rules I will certainly discuss them with the officiant to be double sure I understand them correctly.</p>

<p>The wedding ceremony photography issue is always approached early in the relationship between the bridal couple and myself and the bridal couple is given the strong suggestion to follow up with thier chosen venue to find out the limitations and to request changes if they find the limitations to be to restrictive; from that point I will always follow the given guidelines as much as possible. </p>

<p>The bridal couple should not be surprised by limitations on the ceremony day: settle this issue early, imo.</p>

<p>I witnessed one wedding:<br>

Hired PRO photographer was told "NO Flash" and abeys.<br>

... but 200 guests arrived, and about 50 of them pull out pocket cameras and shoot flash all over places. <br>

No complaints or reaction from the church officials, just could not stop the massive explossion of snapshooters. "nec Hercules contra plures"<br>

What should the PRO hired photographer do ? use his flash and join the mob?</p>

<p>Frank--I wouldn't. I do as I am instructed.</p>

<p>William--I agree with you about settling the issue as early as possible. I don't agree with you about the photographer not approaching the clergy, whether it be on the rehearsal night or not. While the bridal couple as best advocate may work, if it doesn't, there is still hope, I think. There is something to be said about the fact that the officiant can actually talk to and see the photographer in person, and realize that the person who stands in front of him or her appears to be sane, mature (has nothing to do with age), earnest and obedient. He or she can look the photographer in the eye and be reasonably sure that what the photographer promises, he or she will do. When speaking to the couple, the officiant, never having met the photographer, cannot be certain of the same.</p>

<p ><em><strong >nec Hercules contra plures . . . </strong></em><strong ></strong></p>

<p > </p>

<p >No he is not insipid. And the Congregation is not Hercules’ enemy. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >It displays true strength and moral fibre to do what is correct, in the face of the mob which does not.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Hercules will indeed win. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >ciascuno siamo giudicati tramite le nostre proprie azioni</p>

<p > </p>

<p >***</p>

<p > </p>

<p ><strong ><em >"There is something to be said about the fact that the officiant can actually talk to and see the photographer in person . . . "</em></strong></p>

<p > </p>

<p >Yes. Agreed, and expanding the point I made about leveraging one's position: by meeting with the Officiant it is efficient <em>real time marketing, showing the value adds of one's business</em> to the Clients.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >WW</p>