No Ektar 100 at B&H or Adorama

I used Freestyle Photographic (www.freestylephoto.biz) for the first time a while back when I had to make a quick "emergency" film order, and B&H was closed for one of their longer holidays. I was favorably impressed with their service, they had everything I needed at reasonable prices, and I will certainly use them again for film purchases.

I mention this because they apparently have Ektar in stock at $4.49/roll. Check 'em out.

Scott

Scott's right. My order of film, including a roll of Ektar 100, shipped today from Freestyle so I can try it out this weekend. I also agree they are a great place for your film needs with excellent selection and service. I use B&H and/or Adorama for getting gear and Freestyle for getting film,

Thank you for this information. I just ordered 6 rolls from Freestyle. This is a first for me regarding Freestyle. But if the order ships promptly, you can bet that they will get more of my business. I still have my pending order with Adorama. I tried to e-mail "service@adorama.com" to cancel my pending order, but the e-mail got bounced back with the statement

"The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

'service@adorama.com.' on 10/28/2008 10:17 PM

Invalid recipient"

Frustrating!

I'd try Freestyle, but, as I've never before used this film, I'm interested in ordering only one roll of Ektar 100. From Freestyle, that would amount to about $10.00, taking shipping costs into account. I suppose I'll just wait until some local retail store gets it in stock.

On a side note, it can sometimes become very annoying putting up with B&H's/Adorama's odd holiday schedules. Nothing specifically against orthodox Judaism, but I do at times find myself wishing there were a "regular-hours" competitor in New York to these two stores. (K&M comes close to this, but I find their stock is often rather limited in comparison.)

Dear Arjun

I'm not sure why your recent email bounced back; the holidays should not have caused this to happen as all email addresses are set up with an out-of-office-reply during holiday periods.

I will check out the status of our expected delivery date of Ektar 100 when the buyer comes in later this morning, and come back to the board.

We understand that our closures for religious holidays can be inconvenient for our customers, and appreciate your understanding that this is a special time of year for us. Perhaps the following links to articles in the Washington Post & the New York Times will help to make some sense of our closure policies:

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB109269113906892796-IVjg4NnlaJ3o5yubXSHaK6Jm4.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/09/technology/09ecom.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Sincerely

Helen Oster

Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

helen.oster@adoramacamera.com

Yes, BH and Adorama are getting Fat and Lazy I suspect, as they dont even have Kodachrome stocked up to date yet. Dont panic anyone, there is plenty of new K64 at the other online stores, with fresher expiration dates than BH had (12/2009 bs 1/2010+). I just think they are getting slack, they are used to having a corner on much of the film market. Good stores, but hey, wake up guys, or we will vote with our dollars!

I personally find the B&H and Adorama holiday schedules to be no more onerous than any other arbitrary schedules I have to deal with. You just have to pay attention and be prepared, like everything else in life.

I can't give any more justification for religious holiday schedules than I can for airline or train schedules. They are what they are, and the information is freely and openly available. The apparent arbitrariness is merely because I'm not familiar enough with the territory. Once you know the schedule, you can simply adjust as necessary. The vendor who has tried to become all things to all people is Wal-mart. How's that working out for us?

I'm not Jewish, and I was born and raised in very tiny town in the US Southeast, where the Jewish population was practically non-existent. But the major Jewish holidays are printed on my calendar, just like a bunch of non-US holidays. I ain't that hard to look.

MB

Adorama better make a correction in that more than 980 rolls are available since I just received confirmation, with a UPS tracking number, that my TWENTY rolls had been shipped. Wa-Hoo! Should arrive in TN on Friday. Warm up the F5's and F6's! Put in some fresh AA Lithiums! Let those "film burners" roll on! Just in time for fall color.

Hey HenryP@BHphoto.com, I tried ordering from you, but it wasn't even listed on the web pages!

Robert Johnson me@robertejohnson.com

Helen, what are you talking about? What e-mail?

Michael, I agree that business schedules (determined by any number of factors) are what they are, and consumers either work within them, or find other sources from which to purchase materials. Even "typical" stores that close on Sundays (or close early on them) do so for historical, arguably religious reasons. I simply wish there were a few decent (non–on-line) alternatives to B&H and Adorama, so, when I'm unable to get to either of the two during their hours — say, on a Saturday afternoon, if that's the only time I have during a given week to go shopping — I have an option. Then, when that third store is unable to meet my needs, I turn to B&H/Ado. Probably won't happen, but it's nice to think about...

Les Sarile, I have visited Spain, and, yes, the idea, though charming, did take a day or so to get used to — initially, I was quite surprised to find the whole market closed in the middle of the day — lol.

B&H and Adorama's Jewish holiday schedules don't bother me, because fortunately I don't have to deal with those two.

In my area (Southern California), I have a Calumet Store, a few Samy's Camera stores, Nelson Photo, George's Camera, and Freestyle Photo.

They might not be quite as cheap on the top end, but I don't pay for shipping and interest on my credit cards either.

Craig, the sales tax will kill you in TN. This county is 9.25% (food 7.75%) and more in some of the other larger counties. Just bought a few hundred in car parts from NH - NO TAX!

I can work around our Jewish friends. At our church located next door to the Orthodox Jewish Synagogue, we are always turning off the lights, etc. for them on the Sabbath!

Robert Johnson

"OK I have been gone on sabbatical for a few months when did Kodak start remaking Ektar?"

Actually, they haven't. They have, however, released a new film purported to have many of the characteristics of the old Ektar emulsions, but produced with new technologies, and branded it with the Ektar name. Like most, I haven't shot any yet, but plan to do so soon.

We shall soon see if the reality lives up to the name.

BTW, I really didn't expect to set off a such a discussion of the New York company's holiday schedules. Though not Jewish, I actually admire them for what they do. B&H has long been my preferred vendor as I've always gotten exceptional service from them. I've never found their holiday schedules (which they always publish for their non-Jewish customers) difficult to deal with. My getting caught short on film was my own blunder, but one I had to find an answer for. Fortunately, I found a good answer in Freestyle Photographic, and they'll likely be my first choice for film now.

No knock on B&H for this - its simply that film seems to be at the core of Freestyle's raison d'etre, and as a film-ophile, it's the kind of company that I like to support.

There ARE good alternatives for those who look for them.

Scott

Dear Arjun - sorry, should have read Dear Benny (senility setting in early, I think!!)

I'm not sure why your recent email bounced back; the holidays should not have caused this to happen as all email addresses are set up with an out-of-office-reply during holiday periods.

Sincerely

Helen Oster Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador helen.oster@adoramacamera.com