No 2A Folding Rainbow Hawk-Eye and VP Film

Discussion in 'Classic Manual Cameras' started by chauncey_walden, Jun 19, 2009.

1. While going around a neighborhood yard sale, I came across a Minolta 16. I was telling the owner about it and how lacking a film cartridge was going to hurt her sale when she said she had her father's old Kodak and would I like to see it. Of course. She comes out with a very nice looking 2A Folding Rainbow Hawk-Eye (circa 1932) with film in it and exposure number 8 in the red window. Her father had passed on in 1988. I didn't want the camera and I'm sure she didn't want to part with it anyway but I offered to develop the film for her. I wound it off and opened it up to reveal some 116 Verichrome Pan. Thinking that it dated from the 80's, I thought an image was certainly possible. Anyway, I souped it in some Rodinal 1:50 (I know, but that is what I had handy) and there were good images. Fog wasn't bad at all but contrast was a bit lacking. I sleeved the negs and took them back to her and she identified the kid in one picture as her son, now 47. Well, the kid in the picture wasn't over 5 or 6 so the image had been latent for well over 40 years. Good old Verichrome Pan. Oh, and number 8 was blank and even though it had been sitting next to the red window for over 40 years there was no noticeable exposure.

2. Latent image keeping was an important (and positive) property of Verichrome Pan film. Kodak knew that customers might take a year or more to finish a roll. They designed a film that worked a lot better than that!

3. A nice story and gratifying results. Alas, the only roll like that I have found was apparently without images (at least Gene M never found any, and if he couldn't we can be pretty sure they weren't there to find).