Nippon-Kugaku, better than Nikon?

kevin h. y. lui.

<p>Hi, it is my first time to post a question in Nikon area. <br />I notice the older SLR lenses are marked "Nippon-Kugaku" instead of Nikon. Are they the same ? Who is much better in terms of uses / collection?And when did the Nippon-Kugaku being replaced?<br /><br />Thank you,<br>

Kevin</p>

<p>the exotic always sounds better. there was a time when even nikon sounded exotic but not anymore! the older lenses, particularly in leica clone rangefinders are often uncoated and can produce a different kind of contrast. some like it. others don't.</p>

<p>Basically, Nippon Kogaku was the original name of the company. "Nikkor" was their line of glass. "Nikon" was their line of cameras. It is similar to the way Leica was the name of cameras made by the Ernst Leitz company (Leica = <strong>Lei</strong> tz + <strong>ca</strong> mera), but the company later changed its name to Leica. Nippon Kogaku officially changed its name to Nikon about 20 years ago.</p>

<p>As for when the full company name was stopped being marked on the lenses, I am not sure.</p>

<p>Kevin... Not sure what you are shooting, but keep in mind the older lenses will only mount to the D40, D40x, D60 and D5000 (no metering). Unless they have been updated, the Nippon Kogaku lenses and the early "pre-AI" Nikkors will not physically mount to the other Nikon dSLRs without damaging the camera. Be careful and ask if you have any questions.</p>