Nikon's Updated List of Recommended Lenses for the D800E

panayotis_papadopoulos

<p>I thought I would share this...Cheers!</p>

<p >With cameras like the <strong>D800E</strong>, which are suited to photography of visually complex subjects, maximizing <strong>lens resolution is vital</strong>. Though results will vary from lens to lens, the greatest contrast all the way to frame peripheries can generally be achieved at an aperture setting two to three stops down from maximum aperture. Some lenses that offer excellent resolution are listed below.</p>

<ul id="vcs-list">

<li>AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED</li>

<li>AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8G ED</li>

<li>AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II</li>

<li>AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/4G ED VR</li>

<li>AF-S NIKKOR 16-35mm f/4G ED VR</li>

<li>AF-S NIKKOR 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR</li>

<li>AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR</li>

<li>AF-S NIKKOR 200-400mm f/4G ED VR II</li>

<li>AF-S NIKKOR 24mm f/1.4G ED</li>

<li>AF-S NIKKOR 28mm f/1.8G</li>

<li>AF-S NIKKOR 35mm f/1.4G</li>

<li>AF-S NIKKOR 85mm f/1.4G</li>

<li>AF-S NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G</li>

<li>AF-S NIKKOR 200mm f/2G ED VR II</li>

<li>AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II</li>

<li>AF-S NIKKOR 400mm f/2.8G ED VR</li>

<li>AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/4G ED VR</li>

<li>AF-S NIKKOR 600mm f/4G ED VR</li>

<li>AF-S Micro NIKKOR 60mm f/2.8G ED</li>

<li>AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED</li>

<li>PC-E NIKKOR 24mm f/3.5D ED</li>

<li>PC-E Micro NIKKOR 45mm f/2.8D ED</li>

<li>PC-E Micro NIKKOR 85mm f/2.8D</li>

</ul>

<p >The D800E offers better resolution at aperture settings with which diffraction is not an issue. As the aperture setting has more influence on resolution with the D800E than with the D800, D800E users should always keep the possible effects of diffraction in mind. The following pictures were taken with the D800 at f/8 and at f/22.</p>

<p > </p>

<dl ><dd > </dd></dl>

<dl ><dd > </dd></dl>

<blockquote>

<p>It's true that they have not included a couple of lenses that, maybe, will make some wonder, but for me the inclusion of the 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR for the E version is a bit strange. Of course I do not own the lens and I might be totally wrong.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I own the 24-85AFS VR (and the non-VR version) and it's a joke that this is on this list. This lens hardly takes advantage of the 36MP resolution, especially off center and at the long end . . . .<br>

This is a pure marketing-driven list. The 24-120/4 also should not be on this list if you really want lenses that can take advantage of the 36MP.<br>

All in IMHO of course . . .</p>

<p>I always found it strange that the three PC-E lenses were left off this list when Nikon first posted it about a year ago. That was why I never take it seriously. I am glad that they are now adding them onto the list, but neither the D800/D800E nor those lenses have changed since a year ago; clearly they were left off incorrectly.</p>

<p>However, I have very good experience with the 24-85mm/f3.5-4.5 AF-S and 24-120mm/f4 AF-S VR. I have had the 24-120 for 2.5 years. On my D800E, it is a little weak on its wide end, near 24mm with distortion near the edges. Otherwise, it works quite well on the D800E. I tested two samples of the 24-85 AF-S; it also works well on the D800E; it is cheaper because it is a bit slow and its construction is mediocre; however, optically it is fine, especially around f5.6 or so to get the most out of the D800E.</p>

<p>In any case, I would take these lists from Nikon with a grain of salt. There are a lot of fine lenses that are not on these lists.</p>

<p>What I find strange is that so much fuzz is being made about a lens list for the 800E - doesn't the D7100 have a higher resolution than the 800E? By my calculation, 24MP on DX is the equivalent of 54MP on FX - something the 800E is quite a bit distant from (and the D7100 doesn't have an AA filter at all). Hence, wouldn't we need higher resolving lenses for the DX camera than for the 800E? Of course, apparently neither Nikon nor Canon put much effort into the design of high-end DX lenses.</p>

<p>Other than driving people to purchase newer and more expensive lenses, I don't see what purpose the dubious lens list actually serves</p>

<p>I would side with Shun regarding the 24-120 f/4 VR. I absolutely love it on my D600. Unless I'm looking for a very wide DOF, I use it wide open nearly all of the time. At the time of purchase, I did a one-on-one comparison with the 24-70 f/2.8 and preferred the 24-120 on account of the VR. My only complaint is that I bought it from my local camera store about a month before Nikon offered the $300 rebate and couldn't bring myself to "return" it and then re-buy it, so had to pay the full pre-rebate price.</p>

<p>The list is surely suspect (i.e. DPReview had a downloadable RAW of the D800 shot with a 105 f/2.5 AI - it was pinsharp at 100% magnification, plus indeed where are those 50mm lenses?). It sure looks like a list of lenses to sell.</p>

<p>My real problem with this list is that it feeds the pixelpeeping habits. Is it really vital for a D800E photo to be optically perfect all the way - but with a D600, it doesn't matter all that much?. Are your photos lesser photos when shot with one of the lenses not on this list?<br /> Nikon should focus on the benefits the D800(E) can bring. This list doesn't do that, neither does "warning" you must use a tripod and MLU etc. Now, it seems like the advantage is restricted to only those happy few who use the lenses on the list... not a smart way to sell a camera to those who already have lenses they're perfectly happy with.<br /> That doesn't mean that getting the best possible lens, a sturdy tripod and MLU are a bad idea, but it should be said that with a mediocre lens, handheld the D800E can still pull off amazing photos. To me, they forget to communicate this and focus way way too much on "maximising the resolution". For a large amount of photos, maximising resolution simply isn't all that important.</p>

<p>Common sense indeed. It seems that Nikon is dangerously close to showing what a gimmick this camera is. I have yet to meet someone who actually claims that their published output is superior with this camera than it is with other cameras. The fact is that we have to either crop something to death or roll the wheel on the mouse in absurdly close to see any difference at all. </p>

<p>So many times we see one reviewer or another posting these idiotic crops and proclaiming that the camera is a game changer. It is if we are shooting portraits from the grandstands. Otherwise not so much. </p>

<p>These two D800's are great cameras for some applications; very few of which involve pushing the capabilities of even a used 50mm F/1.8 or good zoom. </p>

I don't know about the D800E but with my regular D800 large prints are much better than ones made from D700 and

D7000 files, and I've made some nice prints of baseball scenes shot from the grandstands. If you have a way to use the

resolution it's legit.

<p>I just had a revelation. Maybe these approved lenses are approved because their fuzziness compensates for the lack of an antialiasing filter! That would explain why some famously sharp lenses are missing from the list! Gulp!</p>