Nikon's Future

c_watson1

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Times change.

At least some of Canon's advantage in the camera "wars" was that its "core business" base was much broader than Nikon's.

Canon's largest division in terms of revenue is its multifunction copier division

• Like 3

Photographers need not worry too much about this really. My take-away is: (1) Nikon needs to diversity more intently to other products to survive financially. For this the Nikon brand is already superb, as in medical and other optical technologies. They just need to do more. Canon and Fuji already did this successfully. (2) "Nikon is pouring research and development into establishing the Z-system as a world-leading system that is designed to last as long as the F-mount. That should reassure consumers who are looking at the brave new mirrorless world". This is good news. (3) Future camera equipment prices may increase. Not so good, but we don't like general inflation either.

All good. :-)

• Like 1

The Z9 is a great camera but it seems that Nikon just can't deliver it

Some distributors can't deliver, true. However, they are out there to be had with just a few weeks wait.

On another thread, I alluded to the D850 shortage (unavailability) for quite some time in the US...only.....;)

As far as for me? I doubt that I would buy a new Nikon in the future.

Never say never. ;)

I am on the cusp between Nikon and Olympus for quite a while now, mainly for wildlife considerations. The reasons are multiple, mainly circling around focal reach, zoom, convenience, weight and bulk - assuming crucial ingredients such as focus and optical qualities are excellent - which very often cannot be determined conclusively and slight compromises may be unavoidable due to the many factors involved. So I think I am driving my Hunt's Photo rep crazy as I add and withdraw items on the waiting list every few weeks. ;)

I believe Nikon will catch up and do well financially. It has a distinguished history and an impeccable reputation for quality and optical excellence. The Nikon name is so well-known and revered that it has been the go-to brand for leading actors/actresses acting as professional photographers. - I don't recall anyone holding a Canon, and "Fuji" was just a sideline on the Nikon E2 (Julia Roberts in "Stepmom"). They need to brainstorm with an brilliant team of engineers, photographers, marketing talents, financiers, and strategize accordingly.

Never say never. ;)

I am on the cusp between Nikon and Olympus for quite a while now, mainly for wildlife considerations. The reasons are multiple, mainly circling around focal reach, zoom, convenience, weight and bulk - assuming crucial ingredients such as focus and optical qualities are excellent - which very often cannot be determined conclusively and slight compromises may be unavoidable due to the many factors involved. So I think I am driving my Hunt's Photo rep crazy as I add and withdraw items on the waiting list every few weeks. ;)

I may buy an old Nikon in the future but not a new one.

I believe Nikon will catch up and do well financially. It has a distinguished history and an impeccable reputation for quality and optical excellence. The Nikon name is so well-known and revered that it has been the go-to brand for leading actors/actresses acting as professional photographers. - I don't recall anyone holding a Canon, and "Fuji" was just a sideline on the Nikon E2 (Julia Roberts in "Stepmom"). They need to brainstorm with an brilliant team of engineers, photographers, marketing talents, financiers, and strategize accordingly.

If "catching up" never moves on to "surpass," what's the point? That's Nikon's problem. Fuji moved to mirrorless a decade ago and never stopped innovating.IMHO, Nikon was way late to the MILC party, so much so that new products now simply won't attract attention and buyers in large numbers. Because Fuji could afford to allow an outlier team of developers to dream-up the X100 series, the X-Pro and X-Txx cameras, they moved miles beyond the Canon/Nikon DSLR platforms long ago. Seems obvious that cameras and lenses aren't Nikon's future.

Seems obvious that cameras and lenses aren't Nikon's future.

If that's Nikon's future, and i personally don't believe that, why not cut and run NOW, if it makes a loss in a financial sense, why flog a dead horse? I suspect it more or less breaks even.

Sure they lost their way, for a while, but the Z bodies and lenses are improving very fast.

In development terms, the Z9 is only their second 'go' at a serious MILC. Consider how far the D1 went to become the D6?

Sensor tech may be slowing down, but in-body processing power is just starting. So they do need to do as Mary said..

"They need to brainstorm with an brilliant team of engineers, photographers, marketing talents, financiers, and strategize accordingly."

• Like 1

...Because Fuji could afford to allow an outlier team of developers to dream-up the X100 series, the X-Pro and X-Txx cameras, they moved miles beyond the Canon/Nikon DSLR platforms long ago. Seems obvious that cameras and lenses aren't Nikon's future.

Fuji maybe financially more secure than Nikon (I don't know), however, Fuji does not surpass Nikon, at least not in prestige and surely not in brand recognition and loyalty. Not even Olympus, yet, (though I am partial to it). Nikon would be gold if it researches and innovates like Fuji as you described.

Seems obvious that cameras and lenses aren't Nikon's future.

Highly unlikely. It will be regrettable to abandon the knowhow, historic excellence, and the profuse goodwill.

Canon have about half of the camera market now and they too are saying they are moving their emphasis and investment into other areas of their business. This doesn't mean they won't make cameras or lenses, of course they will. These shifts are not binary. Mostly they tell that to investors so as to not worry. But all of these major companies consider their camera businesses important, you can see it from the heart they put into it, for lack of a better expression. Nikon clearly put a lot of development effort into the Z9 and Z lenses.

"Japanese tech giant Canon Inc is doubling down on medical equipment, semiconductors, commercial printing, security surveillance and other emerging segments expected to become an important engine to drive the company's business growth."

• Like 1

"Some distributors can't deliver, true. However, they (Z9) are out there to be had with just a few weeks wait."

I disagree. I have been on a wait list since October 2021 with one US retailer.

I contacted three different retailers in the US in the last two weeks asking about possible delivery of a Z9. Not one of them had any expectations of when they would be getting any Z9's for sale . Not one even wanted to add my name to a wait list as there were so many others on their wait lists. They told me that the only way to get a "Z9 soon" was to be a member of Nikon NPS.

A few months ago, PetaPixel published an article by the same Mark Smith with the title: The Nikon Z9 Will Be a Sales Flop, But That’s Not What’s Important, with an image of an upside down Z9. I checked various forums and plenty of people immediately pointed out that it is a click-bait, sensational title. I am not going to post a link to it. If you want to check that out, it should be easy to locate it. I take PetaPixel with a grain of salt.

Concerning the Z9, I never understand why Nikon prices it at $5500, as it is clear Nikon can easily sell all they can manufacture at $6500, $7000. IMO Nikon is literally leaving money on the table; some of that goes to scalpers. In the US, the Z9's distribution favors NPS. If you are an NPS member, you can easily get one in a couple of weeks, but each NPS membership is limited to priority delivery for one Z9.

Edited by ShunCheung
  • Like 3

Here in the UK, grey import is about 3 weeks....at slightly below Nikon market price.

As far as I understand, plenty of people in the UK order gray-market Z9 from Panamoz. They ship from Hong Kong???

There is essentially no wait, just maybe a week of shipping time.

• Like 1

It seems this Z9 bundle deal from Beach Camera is available now. If Z9 is what I want, I would not hesitate to buy it. Beach Camera's review at the Resellers rating site is not bad.

Mary, this is exactly what the problem is. Nikon is pricing the Z9 too low. When people such as Joseph Smith goes to Beach Camera's web site, the Z9 body-only option is back ordered, and you need to pre-order:

Nikon Z9 Full Frame FX Flagship Mirrorless Camera 45.7MP 8K Video (Body) 1669Default Title

However, it is available as this "bundle" for $900 more. In the bundle, they give you a cheap CFx card, some tripod and camera bag. I don't want that extra stuffs that maybe worth $200 or so, and the store pockets the extra $700.

Who knows how many stores are putting the Z9 they receive on eBay for extra profit, while customers are waiting forever.

• Like 1

I believe Nikon needed to price the Z9 the way they did as it's Nikon's only Z camera which can confidently autofocus on action subjects for the time being and the competition has both more expensive and less expensive models which do a better job in this task than Nikon's less expensive models do in their current versions, plus Sony has a more comprehensive lens system. The Z9 kind of has to compete also with the R5, R3, A9 II and A1, and even A7 IV and R6. This won't be the case forever as without doubt Nikon will update the Z6 and Z7 series with new models sporting the new Expeed from the Z9, but for the time being their reputation relies largely on the Z9.

It's not that there aren't enough people that could afford the Z9 at a higher price, I am sure there are. But those are not necessarily the right people ... if only the wealthiest can afford a Nikon that can focus on a moving subject, this would mean photographers are right to stick to or move into other brands. The Z9 does not only need to be on par with the competition but way better to compensate for the earlier models' damage to their brand image.