Nikon's comeback!

Sanford

I went to an air show today and Nikon SLR's seemed to be the predominate camera there. This is quite a turn-around from even a few years ago

when all you saw were Canons. I don't know what the latest sales figures are but it looked like a four or five to one advantage for Nikon. Of course

the newspaper guy was still using a high-end Canon.<div>00R8as-77885684.jpg.cc93da1c6e827f82fcd771d4b0e29cef.jpg</div>

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see how it matters. Well, unless you're concerned that one manufacturer or the other is going to get so far behind that you end up with an orphaned lens collection. Or feel some special alliegance to one company, and your mood rises and falls on their fortunes (I'm starting to ramble, LOL).

I doubt either company is going to go belly-up soon, so: I don't see how it matters ;)

I absolutely agree that we need strong competition not only for advancement but to get prices down. So yes it did matter that Nikon was seriously lagging behind. Nikon still does lag in resolution but has made strides to compensate with higher frame rates and superior high ISO performance. Simply having full frame Nikon DSLRs has helped tremendously. Things will only get better in the next few years as all the manufacturers end up on the same playing field as far as sensor technology goes.

Want to hear something strange. A fellow who used to be in the camera club I returned to has sort of gone pro and is shooting weddings

full time. He is Canon through an through and always buys the best. He had two Canon 1D Mark III's and I'm sure only the best in lenses

he needed. Turns out he attended some wedding photographers convention and most of the pros were using or converting over to the D3.

So now he's doing the same. Selling all his gear and starting up a Nikon kit. Personally I think he's mad as I'm sure the D3 won't do

anything magical or that much better than what he's already got, but then I've never used a D3 so I wouldn't know. I'm just so surprised that

he's doing this because like I said earlier, he was a Canon man and looked down on Nikon.

Following the crowd is a sure way to make you lose $money --- lots of it, actually. Ask yourself what you really need for your application and get the best tools for that application and you will be happy.

Margaret. as of now (Oct. 2008), I do not see a better tool in the market than the D3 with this price range that has the same capabilities for weddings.

The poll was done in April 2004. The way technology advances, new products introduced almost every month and market price changes, the cited poll is irrelevant... The bottom line is better technology, more choices and competitive prices-- good for consumers.

The biggest boost to Nikon lately is the combination of the D300/700.3 and the 1DMkIII focus problems.

Canons problems with this body don't happen to everyone but they happen enough to those who use the gear daily to make a living that Nikons timing on its newest gear and Canon dragging its feet could not have come at a worse time for Canon.

Compare sideline shots at major sporting events this year to last year. Many more black lenses now. Unless Canon comes up with a new photojournalist body, apologizes for the MkIII and makes good to a lot of photographers using them they will only push more Nikon switches from Canon.

At my surroundings, looks like "white" pros are buying Nikon for whatever the reason ("social" photography?) and "black" pros are buying MkIIIs strictly for sports. I`m a bit confused because I thought the D3 arrived to be a direct MkIII competitor... Perhaps in a few years, specialization will place each brand for very defined tasks.

Sometime at the local wildlife reserve where I usually shoot you get a whole bunch of Nikon shooters and one or two Canons, and sometime you get a whole bunch of Canon shooters and one or two Nikons, and sometime you get half and half. My point is it depends on the day. I shoot bird and one thing I notice is that it is almost impossible to get Nikon superteles like the 200-400 f/4 VR, 500 f/4 VR, 600 f/4 VR... if you have 7.5 grands you can have your Canon EF 600 f/4L IS in a week.