Nikon Z5 Trade-in Discount Begins

ShunCheung

Nikon USA is playing the trade-in game again. They expect the Z5 to ship on August 27, and from now through September 27, you can get an extra $100 for any trade in towards a new Z5. Of course, some camera stores will handle all the "trade in" for you. Effectively they are discounting the Z5 by $100.

I continue to feel that the Z5 will drop from the initial $1400 to around $1200 by the holiday season in 2020, i.e. around November.

TRADE UP TO NIKON Z 5 WITH INTRODUCTORY $100 BONUS OFFER

For a Limited Time, Trade in Any Working Camera to Receive a $100 Bonus Towards a New Nikon Z 5, In Addition to Your Camera’s Trade-In Value

MELVILLE, NY (August 3, 2020) – Today, Nikon Inc. announced an introductory trade-in offer for those ready to experience Nikon’s new entry level full-frame mirrorless camera, the Nikon Z 5. The Nikon Z 5 is a feature-packed mirrorless camera designed for those ready to start their full-frame journey and unlock their creative potential.

nikonusa.com/ztradeup.

The recently announced Nikon Z 5 includes sophisticated features inherited from the award-winning Z 7 and Z 6 and Nikon’s next generation Z mount at an unprecedented value. With an incredibly robust feature set, including a 24.3-megapixel Full Frame sensor, dual memory card slots, in-camera vibration reduction (VR) image stabilization, 4K UHD video and the perfect balance of seamless automation and full manual controls, creators can effortlessly capture and share their artistic passions, travel adventures and so much more.

The high-performance AF system easily locks onto and tracks subjects throughout the frame, while also offering Eye-Detection AF for humans, cats, and dogs. When paired with the new ultra-compact NIKKOR Z 24-50mm f/4-6.3 lens, the Z 5 is the ideal companion to document it all, from street-side portraits to epic landscapes.

For more information about the latest Nikon products, including the new Nikon Z 5, please visit www.nikonusa.com.

So basically, you go to Goodwill and get a $5 Powershot from 20 years ago, and get $100 for it.

You shouldn't even need to do that. Just go to a camera store and let them know that you would like to buy a Z5 for $1300. They will handle the "trade in" for you.

Later on, Nikon will simply discount the Z5 by $100 outright, and later on by $200 .... If you are willing to wait 10 years, you maybe able to buy a used Z5 for $100. :rolleyes: Or perhaps I'll be dead by then.

• Like 3

You can check trade-in values and discounts here: https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/z-estimate-request-form.page

How about my D50 for a Z50 with $100 off. I might go for that.

Not on that list - Nikon offers $50 for a D60 in excellent condition - or $95 for a D300 in the same condition. $550 for a D500 - which is more than you get from keh at this point (unless you also part with a battery and a charger).

• Like 1

Not on that list - Nikon offers $50 for a D60 in excellent condition - or $95 for a D300 in the same condition. $550 for a D500 - which is more than you get from keh at this point (unless you also part with a battery and a charger).

A new D500 is about $1500. A used one in excellent condition should be worth over $1000. However, used camera dealers, including Nikon, would pay you 50 cents for each dollar they can sell it for. $550 seems reasonable. I would sell one through the likes of Craig's List or eBay. You'll get more money as well as more hassle.

$550 seems reasonable.

It's what keh offers for a "like new minus" D500 without battery in charger - add the two and the price goes up to $800. For lesser condition bodies, the range is $475-$500 and $700-$720, respectively.

I would sell one through the likes of Craig's List or eBay. You'll get more money as well as more hassle.

Indeed. A quick survey on ebay shows completed D500 purchases at $850-$1100. Deduct from that the ebay and paypal fees (and possibly even shipping and insurance) and at least the lower end of the spectrum comes close to what keh offers. For years, I have shied away from ebay and craigslist in my area isn't really an option worth pursuing - I developed a good relationship with the local camera store (now unfortunately closed) that resulted in quite a few deals that I considered quite favorable. Still might have made a few more bucks selling on ebay - but to me the additional hassle wasn't worth it.

Dud camera+weak sales=desperation?

Not sure there's anything wrong with it...

Don't think there is. Nothing wrong with promoting a sale with some trade-in bonusses - Sony has been doing it successfully for years. $100 isn't much of an incentive though. For the Sony A7, my discount had been $500 and when I upgraded from it to the A7II, the combined discount was some $580 (no tax, instant rebate, trade-in bonus). And again - upgrading to the A7RIII was promoted by a total rebate/trade-in bonus discount of $700. The flipside of that coin was that prices for used older bodies took a nose dive (and Sony kept selling those new a substantial discount too).

Not that I really understand DX-Z.

Me neither - except as a low-cost alternative to FX. One or two bodies and a handful of lenses should suffice for that.

Edited by Dieter Schaefer

One could trade in a excellent condition D5 XQD and get around $2,500 credit. One could buy a Z7 and tradein a used Z7 ;-) and you still owe them around $1,500 or maybe more .....

What's that nice phrase?

"A fool and their money are easily separated"

I was going to say, "No-one in their right mind would"..... but maybe...:D