Nikon Z5 below $1000 in the US

ShunCheung

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the US, the current discount is available for 2 weeks, while supply lasts. I have no idea how much inventory Nikon USA has, but similar discounts should eventually be available in other parts of the world, I hope. Otherwise, the price difference is just too big.

WOW, a fourhundred-dollar price drop! Nikon must have realized that trying to sell the remaining stock of Z6 (which comes at a $600 discount from its initial price) and the Z5 at the same price of $1400 didn't work well. Who would choose the Z5 over a Z6 (whose only drawback in that direct comparison is the lack of a 2nd card slot)? Now the discounted Z5 puts price pressure on the Z50 - which is only $150 cheaper ($860). Or $200 more ($1200) - if you choose to get both kit lenses with the Z50. Equipping the Z5 with the 24-200 results in a $500 price difference ($1700) with the Z50/16-50/50-250).
  • Like 2

Or if you have a decent camera you purchased in the past five years and it is in good working order, you could really save $1,000 and keep using the camera you have. If you re honest with yourself, you will probably take pictures with your current camera that are as good as the pictures you would take with the Z-whatever. For most of us, the limiting factor is us, not the equipment.
  • Like 1

Who would choose the Z5 over a Z6 (whose only drawback in that direct comparison is the lack of a 2nd card slot)?

That's a good question. I believe the answer is someone who has a lot of SD cards and wants to keep using them and not purchase XQD or CFexpress cards. In Europe any kind of very fast cards are traditionally very expensive although there are a few places with competitive prices. I think this is the reason why Nikon are pricing the Z5 high in Europe: they see that customers might see this as more valuable than the Z6 because of the cost of cards for the latter. I personally like XQD and CFexpress and avoid buying SD cards where I can, but others have the opposite view.

If I just google some SD UHS memory cards with "hinta" (= "price" in Finnish) I find 128 GB Sandisk SD UHS-I for 37€. If I search prices for "CFexpress hinta" I get 128 GB Lexar for 229€. While the performances are very different, for a user who is otherwise satisfied with a Z5 it might not matter much. Of course they might not actually end up saving much money because the camera is priced so high.

Another reason is that one might also want the more compact 24-50 kit lens for the kit price.

• Like 2

Actually the original Z6 and Z7 are also on sale in this around:

• Z5: $999.95 (further lowered by another $3 at some stores such as B&H, to a final $996.95)
  • Z6: $1399.95
  • Z7: $2299.95

In the US, while there is still some shortage for the Z6 ii and Z7 ii, it looks like Nikon USA needs to move the remaining Z6 and Z7 bodies. With the Z6 at $1400, the Z5 has to go further down accordingly. The Z5 was going for $1200 in the holiday season in 2019. Another $200 off now a year and half later seems reasonable. Both Sony and Canon have had sub-$1000 FX mirrorless for a while.

The current discount is for two weeks. I assume that whether it will be extended depends on how many more Z6 and Z7 Nikon USA will still have on hand by then. Most likely very few new Z6 and Z7 will be available after the current sale.

Yes

Uhm... No.

It's that time of the year again. ;-)

A prime, or primary lens in full, is a lens (fixed focal length or not!) to which a secondary lens (for instance a close up lens, or anamorphotic lens in front, or a teleconverter behind) is attached.

In this case the original "fixed focal length" was correct.

Re price drop: I'm not sure why this is a topic of discussion. A good heads-up, pointing out that these old versions are now discounted, yes. By why this speculation about what may be behind the decision to drop prices? Ill omens???

It is common when new versions of things are put on the market that the old versions are discounted. Else noone would buy those oldies anymore.

It is an opportunity for those who hadn't bought the old versions because of being too expensive. These buyers wouldn't buy the new versions for the same reason. So there is a market that is now being served. And Nikon and Nikon dealers can move their stock of old versions.

For less money. Smaller margins. But more then when these old ones would remain unsold. Standard business practice, i'd say.

Re price drop: I'm not sure why this is a topic of discussion. A good heads-up, pointing out that these old versions are now discounted, yes. By why this speculation about what may be behind the decision to drop prices? Ill omens???It is common when new versions of things are put on the market that the old versions are discounted.

Some people always want to give the impression that Nikon are failing and they use every opportunity to present that view. I have no idea what their motivation might be, perhaps they have a grudge.

Prime lens has for a very long time now (decades) been used to designate a fixed-focal-length lens in common photographic gear parlance. What it meant 100 years ago or what is meant by it in scientific optical literature can be different as language constantly evolves and common usage can be different from that of the scientific community. It doesn't mean it's wrong to use it in that way as long as the reader understands what is being talked about.

Edited by ilkka_nissila
  • Like 4

Are you saying a Prime lens is not of a fixed Focal Length?

When using the historic/original definition of a "prime" (as in primary/main) lens, whether the focal length of the primary lens was variable or fixed was irrelevant. As Ilkka has pointed out, for quite some time now "prime" is now applied to designate a lens of fixed focal length. Might refer to them being of higher "prime" quality as opposed to variable focal length lenses (not all of which are actually zooms) that are/were often considered to be of lower optical quality.

Edited by Dieter Schaefer
  • Like 1

From "Prime Lens" on Wikipedia. See: Prime lens - Wikipedia

"In film and photography, a prime lens is a fixed focal length photographic lens (as opposed to a zoom lens), typically with a maximum aperture from f2.8 to f1.2."

"The term can also mean the primary lens in a combination lens system. Confusion between these two meanings can occur if context doesn't make the interpretation clear. People sometimes use alternate terms—primary focal length, fixed focal length, or FFL to avoid ambiguity." [ibidem]

"The term prime has come to mean the opposite of zoom—a fixed-focal-length, or unifocal lens." [ibidem.]

"The older, original meaning of prime lens is the main lens in a combination lens system" [ibidem]

Selection bias, Vincent.