Nikon Z-Mount Lens Roadmap

ShunCheung

No long prime, 300mm or longer. I guess for those lenses an F mount E type lens would work about the same.

Keep in mind that:

1. The road map is for up to (the end of) 2021, i.e. for the next two years, not beyond.
  2. It only means Nikon is planning to have those Z-mount lenses by the end of 2021. It doesn't imply Nikon cannot have additional lenses. For example, the two newly announced DX zooms were not on the original road map from 2018. Last year's original road map had no DX lenses, or it would have given away Nikon's game plan to release DX bodies in 2019 and later on.

Given that Nikon will soon release the D6 and an F-mount 120-300mm/f2.8 AF-S VR, ahead of the 2020 Tokyo Summer Olympics, any Nikon sports cameras and lenses will remain in the F mount. I think the D6 could potentially be the end of a line, but we need to see how far AF matures on mirrorless by 2022, 2023. Canon introduced updated 400mm/f2.8 and 600mm/f4 lenses a year ago for the EOS EF (DSLR) mount. It looks like Canon will also stay with DSLRs for sports for a few more years also.

Keep in mind that:

1. The road map is for up to (the end of) 2021, i.e. for the next two years, not beyond.
  2. It only means Nikon is planning to have those Z-mount lenses by the end of 2021. It doesn't imply Nikon cannot have additional lenses. For example, the two newly announced DX zooms were not on the original road map from 2018. Last year's original road map had no DX lenses, or it would have given away Nikon's game plan to release DX bodies in 2019 and later on.

Given that Nikon will soon release the D6 and an F-mount 120-300mm/f2.8 AF-S VR, ahead of the 2020 Tokyo Summer Olympics, any Nikon sports cameras and lenses will remain in the F mount. I think the D6 could potentially be the end of a line, but we need to see how far AF matures on mirrorless by 2022, 2023. Canon introduced updated 400mm/f2.8 and 600mm/f4 lenses a year ago for the EOS EF (DSLR) mount. It looks like Canon will also stay with DSLRs for sports for a few more years also.

Oh I am sure Nikon will make the full lens line. I just said that long lenses are not the priority.