Nikon Z Lens Roadmap, Updated 28 October 2021

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by ShunCheung, Oct 28, 2021.

1. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

I have this bad habit of keeping the old versions of the Nikon Z lens roadmap over the last several years. In 2019, they added a 60mm and 105mm S macros, but in 2020, Nikon switched the 60mm to a 50mm, which was formally announced in June this year, along with the 105mm S. Both turned out to be f2.8.

The 24-105mm S has been on the roadmap for a couple of years, all the way to another version of the roadmap earlier this month when Nikon announced the 18-140 DX. Perhaps initially Nikon had a 24-105 in mind, but I am sure they had known for at least a year or two that they were switching to 24-120 S. You need to ask Nikon why they didn't update it earlier. You would think 24-105 vs. 24-120 is not such a big secret that they need to hide.

2. That depends on what YOU shoot.
    For ME, shooting high school sports in a dim gym or field at night, it is all about light. I need enough light to get a decently sharp image. DoF or OOF effects is way down my ladder of importance. In fact, I would rather have MORE DoF than less. As it is, with an f/4 lens, I am up at ISO 8000 to 16000.

As for the f/11 Canon lenses . . .
    Again it depends, and it is not only the lens.
    If you shoot thing that don't move very fast, during the DAY, it is OK.
    Using the sunny 16 rule, to be at 1/1000 sec, I would have to set the SS to ISO 1000, on a sunny day.
    Even faster if you are shooting a fast moving subject. I shoot tennis at 1/2000 sec, so my base ISO was 2400.
    But if it overcasts, you can quickly be up to ISO 6400 and higher. Been there, done that.
    So what is the IQ of your camera at ISO 6400+ ?
    IF the camera has GOOD high ISO IQ, you can do it.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
  3. I had been waiting to see the specs on the 24-105 (now 24-120), I'm going to pass and get the 24-70 2.8 as I originally intended.

4. I noticed a Nikon video where the 100-400mm internal mechanisms were shown to keep the center of gravity fixed during zooming (as there are groups of elements that move in opposite directions) and how the lens prevents self-creeping when being carried. This seems like a great design! I have a small fluid head which I really love to use for medium size telephotos and I thought I would need a non-extending zoom for use with that to keep the balance during zooming, but Nikon have apparently managed to make an extending zoom that is compact during transport yet maintains balance when zooming. Fascinating.