Nikon Z Lens Roadmap, Updated 20 September 2022

ShunCheung

The 24-105mm S becomes a 24-120mm/f4 S.

The 400mm/f2.8 with a 1.4x TC built-in is pre-announced, but according to this roadmap, there will still be 400mm, 600mm, and 800mm super-teles; no max aperture is specified. Could some of those be PF lenses? (BTW, Canon has a 600mm/f11 and 800mm/f11 for their mirrorless RF mount.)

And there will be another compact, FX lens, a 26mm.

Two new DX lenses are added, a 24mm compact and a 12-28mm DX wide zoom.

Yet to be introduced, 200-600mm and a 85mm S, most likely an f1.2.

NikonRoadmap.thumb.jpeg.53377dc6bde7aa889add126d363210cc.jpeg

Edited by ShunCheung

The thing is that among "compact lenses," there are already two flavors of the 28mm/f2.8 and one 40mm/f2. Another 26mm seems strange; unless that is a macro, but then it should be listed under macros.

I am glad to see two more DX lenses on the map, though. The 12-28mm DX is a much needed wide DX zoom.

A different version of the new roadmap.

The 26mm FX seems to be a true "pancake" lens.

We know that the 400mm/f2.8 S has a built-in 1.4x TC, similar to the F-mount 180-400mm zoom. The other 400mm S looks small. It could be a 400mm/f5.6 PF lens. The 800mm S looks awfully short for an 800mm also. The 600mm S is almost certainly an f4.

2021_10_28a.thumb.jpg.70b30918d59f0aa5b6f72c248fb32863.jpg

smaller 400 mm maybe f/4?

Doubtful - the front diameter looks about the same as that of the 200-600 (which I expect to have a 95mm filter diameter); so the 400 can't be f/4 (requires 100mm filter diameter at least). It might be f/4.5 though as f/5.6 would not need a large front as shown in the image. I expect a 400/4.5PF to cost substantially less than a 400/4PF (factor of 2?).

But a 800mm/f5.6 PF is really going to be expensive.

$18k? Or breaking the $20k barrier?

What about the 400/2.8 with 1.4x TC? The current 400/2.8 is some 11k, so the new one is going to be $13k+? Even $15k?

One third stop has only a minor effect on the price.

I look at it differently - front element larger than 100mm = $$$$$$, less than 100mm can be substantially cheaper. I expect a 400/4PF to cost $8-9k at least whereas a 500/5.6 is less than $4k. Yes, it is one stop but it is also just around that 100mm borderline.

So, why the 24-105mm 'typo'?

Trying to spot a leaker?

Fast lenses are now so much more about using shallow DoF and OOF effects than letting in enough light to get a fast enough shutter speed etc. Film completely ran out of gas at ISO3200,

I don’t start worrying about noise until well past ISO4000 on the Z6ii.

Anyone know how good those long and very slow Canon lenses are?

The lenses in the roadmap that have not been officially announced are in development and the specifications can change before they go into production. This also happened to the 60mm macro in the earlier roadmap, it became a 50mm.

Fast lenses are now so much more about using shallow DoF and OOF effects than letting in enough light to get a fast enough shutter speed etc.

For me they are about both things and I often need both.

Film completely ran out of gas at ISO3200

I felt ISO 400 was maximum for colour film if I wanted the images to look nice and if going into larger prints, ISO 100. There are lots of opportunities in low light that could not be used for quality photography back then.

Just one week ago I was forced to ISO 70000 with an f/2.8 lens. It would have been nice to have a fast lens in that situation and shoot at ISO 6400. There are lots of dark situations and places. Lower ISO always looks nicer than higher ISO. When using a high resolution camera, the difference is more obvious.

I got tired of the high ISO I often had to use with the 500/5.6 and sold the lens in favour of a shorter and faster lens. I can't imagine working with an f/11 super tele. f/4 is OK, faster would be nicer IMO. :) But I realize an 800mm f/4 is not very realistic to use without a robot.

Edited by ilkka_nissila
  • Like 1

I have this bad habit of keeping the old versions of the Nikon Z lens roadmap over the last several years. In 2019, they added a 60mm and 105mm S macros, but in 2020, Nikon switched the 60mm to a 50mm, which was formally announced in June this year, along with the 105mm S. Both turned out to be f2.8.

The 24-105mm S has been on the roadmap for a couple of years, all the way to another version of the roadmap earlier this month when Nikon announced the 18-140 DX. Perhaps initially Nikon had a 24-105 in mind, but I am sure they had known for at least a year or two that they were switching to 24-120 S. You need to ask Nikon why they didn't update it earlier. You would think 24-105 vs. 24-120 is not such a big secret that they need to hide.

Trying to spot a leaker?

Fast lenses are now so much more about using shallow DoF and OOF effects than letting in enough light to get a fast enough shutter speed etc. Film completely ran out of gas at ISO3200,

That depends on what YOU shoot.

For ME, shooting high school sports in a dim gym or field at night, it is all about light. I need enough light to get a decently sharp image. DoF or OOF effects is way down my ladder of importance. In fact, I would rather have MORE DoF than less. As it is, with an f/4 lens, I am up at ISO 8000 to 16000.

As for the f/11 Canon lenses . . .

Again it depends, and it is not only the lens.

If you shoot thing that don't move very fast, during the DAY, it is OK.

Using the sunny 16 rule, to be at 1/1000 sec, I would have to set the SS to ISO 1000, on a sunny day.

Even faster if you are shooting a fast moving subject. I shoot tennis at 1/2000 sec, so my base ISO was 2400.

But if it overcasts, you can quickly be up to ISO 6400 and higher. Been there, done that.

So what is the IQ of your camera at ISO 6400+ ?

IF the camera has GOOD high ISO IQ, you can do it.

Edited by Gary Naka

I have this bad habit of keeping the old versions of the Nikon Z lens roadmap over the last several years. In 2019, they added a 60mm and 105mm S macros, but in 2020, Nikon switched the 60mm to a 50mm, which was formally announced in June this year, along with the 105mm S. Both turned out to be f2.8.

The 24-105mm S has been on the roadmap for a couple of years, all the way to another version of the roadmap earlier this month when Nikon announced the 18-140 DX. Perhaps initially Nikon had a 24-105 in mind, but I am sure they had known for at least a year or two that they were switching to 24-120 S. You need to ask Nikon why they didn't update it earlier. You would think 24-105 vs. 24-120 is not such a big secret that they need to hide.

I had been waiting to see the specs on the 24-105 (now 24-120), I'm going to pass and get the 24-70 2.8 as I originally intended.

I noticed a Nikon video where the 100-400mm internal mechanisms were shown to keep the center of gravity fixed during zooming (as there are groups of elements that move in opposite directions) and how the lens prevents self-creeping when being carried. This seems like a great design! I have a small fluid head which I really love to use for medium size telephotos and I thought I would need a non-extending zoom for use with that to keep the balance during zooming, but Nikon have apparently managed to make an extending zoom that is compact during transport yet maintains balance when zooming. Fascinating.

• 10 months later...